best sub-£100 ($150) IEM's for iPod Touch with/without FiiO E11 or E17
Jun 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Layman1

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Am fairly new to all this; taking my first steps into the huge and daunting world of higher-end audio, so please go easy on me! :)

I currently own the iPod Touch  - the version that came out before the most recent one - and the iPhone 4s.
I also have a Macbook Air. The majority of my music is at 320kbps (and if I can get a new DMP with bigger memory later, I'll move onto lossless)

I am considering buying the FiiO E17 (or perhaps the E11), and have read quite a few reviews on both.
My previous IEM's (Klipsch S4i) just broke, and am looking for a replacement.

Here's where the problem starts. I love the convenience of the iPod controller buttons, but if I'm going to be plugging the IEMs into an Amp, then I assume that function will cease to exist.
So, barring any way of making that work with an amp, then it is no longer an essential, although I should add that there may be times (for ease of transport) that I will use the iPod without an amp, so the 3 button control needn't be something to avoid either.

I've read a huge thread (Multi IEM Review - 244 IEMs Compared) with reviews about the Spider Realvoice, Head Direct RE-Zero, and many others.
The difficulty is, I don't have money to experiment with different sets of IEMs, and I need IEMs that will work with iPod Touch AND the FiiO E17 (or E11).
But, hopefully, ones that will also work well without the amp!

All advice welcome.

You may ask what kind of sound I am interested in, and there lies another difficulty; I am not knowledgeable enough to say for sure.
I know that with the current set-up (iPod Touch + Klipsch S4i - or £20 Sony Fontopia now that the Klipsch have ceased to work),
I feel there is a lack of bass and I get the feeling there must be earphones out there that just have more clarity, that will make my music 'sing' more!
Having said that, I've tried using the Bass Booster on the iPod and hate how muddy everything sounds (I currrently use the 'Rock' setting).

I listen to mostly rock and acoustic guitar music, along with a fair bit of pop, hip-hop and RnB (both traditional and the modern understanding of the phrase!).
Having said that, about the only music I don't listen to is dance music and jazz, and even there, there are exceptions.

Although I love to hear the bass, I love noticing details in the music which I had not previously noticed (or do know and love to hear!), and feeling that I'm hearing it in the best quality.

Finally, with that all said, there's the question for me of which IEMs will work best with the set up described?
I like the idea that I could have earphones which are more about clarity, separation and warm tones than bass, which I could then leave neutral by not modifying when played through the amp, or which I could 'bass up' by applying the appropriate settings on the amp.

Ok, this is turning into an essay.

Hope to hear some feedback; you guys have seemed really helpful on other threads I've been following!

Thanks in advance!

Jun 21, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 9
NB: Forgot to say; one of the reasons I got the Klipsch earphones was because I had never found a comfortable fit with IEMs before, and the reviews said their oval tips made them more comfortable etc. I've found the largest earbuds they provide are reasonably comfortable, but the fit is still not consistent.

I have been thinking of using Comply's memory foam ear buds (with or without ear wax filters?), having heard good things about them, but then saw that on the IEM mega-review, there was some comment that some IEMs might suffer in the treble range if using Comply?

Please bear this in mind when recommending IEMs! Thanks again :)

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 9
Vsonic GRO7, Yamaha EPH-100, Triple-fi 10 (in no order)

Do some reading up on those and see which signature you prefer. These are IEM's that stay on top of the boards here continuously / maybe suited to your preferences including amping / not amping. They all will take comply foam except EPH-100 which is most comfortable with stock flange tips. If I had to pick one after reading your OP, I would tell you to buy the Yamaha, which sound terrific out of my touch. Also forget about the stock EQ on your ipod/iphone, get an app called EQU from the app store, this will solve your eq problems.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Hey, thanks so much for the reply! Will check all three of those as advised!
Regarding EQU, I got it already, but find it a bit baffling!
I can use the presets of course, but when you referred to it solving my problems, were you suggesting just to use (e.g. the rock preset) or manually modifying the EQ?
If so, could you advise what settings might be optimal for me, given my previous criteria?

Thanks again :)

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Oh, also, you didn't mention the Spider Realvoice or Head Direct RE-Zero.
Is this because you feel they are not a suitable match for my criteria (and if you, could you possibly let me know why; it would be very helpful!)?
Or is it just because you have never personally used them or something similar? :)

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 9
I can't recommend those as I've never heard them, I tend not to suggest IEM's I haven't heard.   

When I was talking about EQU. I meant adjust the EQ yourself, it can take some getting used too, well worth the effort though if you want to find the right sound.

Though if you find a preset that works for you that's great too! 

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 9
Ok, thanks very much!

So if anyone else has used the Spider Realvoice or Head Direct RE-Zero and knows if they would be a suitable solution, please do comment!

Will try to play around with the EQU EQ and see what happens..

The difficulty is that I frankly have no idea where to begin, and also that I tend to play music on a 'random' setting from a playlist.
My main two are 'on the go' (mostly rock, with some pop, hip hop and RnB) and Relaxing (soft pop, lots of acoustic, some classical, plenty of vocals).

In your opinion, would it be wrong to think that (particularly for rock, pop and hip hop) a strong bass is in opposition to clarity/detail and good vocals?
Or should it be possible to meet both requirements with the right set up?

I guess I'm just hoping that I'm going to be able to change my set up and suddenly be "WOW!", hearing details in the music and a warmth and quality of sound that I never heard before (along with bass that actually has power, without muddying the overall tone!)... Too much to hope for? :p

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 9
What you want.... is practice with the equalizer until you achieve a balanced sound that offers an increase in area's you want to enhance, if you go too far your EQ band will sound messed. this means you've pushed it too far either up, or down, your ears will tell you what sounds good, remembering you can only lift or decrease a band certain amounts before it ruins the presentation. It's all about practice / trial and error. it may seem complicated at first, but it's easy once learned. 

Bass is probably the easiest to adjust so start there. then do the high end and your mids last. It's very hard for me to describe on-screen. forget about adjusting the Hz levels, start with the sliders. To be honest there's not one preset I've ever found that suits any genre it says. That's just my observation and it scares me that in today's society people don't understand EQing. I guess we can thank Apple for this, because when I was a kid almost every stereo had an EQ. 

Here's an example of my VLC media player EQ for Triple-fi 10. As you can see I like to lift the bass and treble while dropping out mid range.

This is what you call a V shape. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Etymotic HF5 but they will be bass light for rap and the likes. Hisound Crystal is good, but if you can get hold of Dunu I 3C-S get them, they have good bass with great detail and a smooth sound, I would take them over the Etymotic any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back