Best Studio Setup For Under $1500 (sans Computer)
Jun 21, 2009 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ekoshyun

New Head-Fier
Hello hello Head-Fiers!

I've been planning out my new in-house studio for a while now, but I'm not too sure how well I've pieced my components together for the optimal value/sound for the money. I intent to use my computer as source, feeding it into an external interface, then into the speakers. I also want inputs for my digital piano and an extra headphone jack.

Here's what I got so far:
Intel 3.06 Ghz C2D
4GB RAM
Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic (which I plan on getting rid of...)

And here's what I've got planned:
KRK VXT6 Pair ($900)
KRK K10S ($400)
Lexicon I-Onix U22 ($250)

Okay, so that's about $1550, which is around my budget exactly. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with the Lexicon as a replacement for an internal sound card? I've already tested the VXT6's in person and I am completely in love with them. But if anyone knows another similar set of speakers/subwoofer combo with neutral clarity, excellent bass, and a sexy midrange, please let me know!
icon10.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi. Never heard of that interface. But in terms of speakers, another option might be to forego the sub and get something more full range like Yamaha HS80Ms, leaving you with a lot more in the budget for your source, from Focusrite, or an EMU 1616M

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 6
I have some Dynaudio BM5A's with an HSU VTF-1 sub and they both sound good. I couldn't listen to the VXT series when I was shopping though so I can't compare.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some Dynaudio BM5A's with an HSU VTF-1 sub and they both sound good. I couldn't listen to the VXT series when I was shopping though so I can't compare.

I heard the Dynaudios as well. Both sounded excellent, but the VXT really had that silky smooth midrange that I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back