Best streaming service?
Oct 11, 2014 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

OctaviaeZ

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, so apparently youtube has audio compression but I use it because I don't like downloading my music. But with that being said, what is the best audio streaming service? I was looking at google play unlimited, apparently it has 320 kbps and has a lot of EDM songs, which is what I mainly listen to. What do you guys think?

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 31
You can get a free 1 month trial of their premium service. You can stream at 320kbps

You'll have to let your ears decide if it's better or not
smily_headphones1.gif

Alright, and are all songs in 320kbps?

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 31
I use Qobuz for the SQ. Every album ive seen are 16/44.1 lossless, minimum. Lots of 24 bit lossless as well.
Ive come across a few artists that arent on Qobuz, but for the most part its an excellent service

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 31
Holy necro thread revive. Reviving a thread from 2014 about streaming.

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 31
I tried most of the popular streaming services and I would like to split it into 3 categories (content, recommendations, reliability).

For content, I found Spotify to have the most music I listen to (EDM mainly), it also had a very good (read accurate) recommendation system for my liking. In contrary, Tidal was terrible at recommending me songs and Qobuz is meh. Deezer on the other hand, gave me very nice songs as well and had a decent library of music I am interested in.

I have since solved the recommendation issue I had with Tidal and Qobuz by using Roon instead (that pulls music from Tidal and Qobuz, but offers its own library management / playlist recommendation). The issue I had with Tidal was that the network reliability was meh, I reported it multiple times to folks at Roon, who did improve it over time (added network retries). Thankfully, Qobuz has no issues whatsoever, their network delivery seems to work flawlessly.

I wish Deezer that offers lossless would integrate with Roon, I think that would be my choice. Or maybe when Spotify comes in lossless, I will go back to it and stop using Roon, as Spotify had a good libary, recommendations and offers to control music from any device I have. Compared to other services, if I am using their native apps, I cannot control music playback from a different device, only start a new playback from there. Imagine I start listening in my living room and then I want to control songs from the kitchen, if I started playback on my Mac and want to later control it from my iPhone (speakers still in the living room), I kinda have two options - Spotify Connect or Roon. Tidal Connect doesn’t offer this (I asked them) nor Qobuz/Deezer. Maybe Apple’s Music does, as it is Airplay and you can control other Airplay devices remotely.

So for me, I am currently using Roon + Qobuz, but looking forward to trying Spotify lossless, when it comes out!

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #14 of 31
Apple Music now support lossless audio for the same price. It is the best in my opinion
Only for people with iphones and external dacs. Still not supported on android or standard outputs on iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back