Best Stoner Rock Album
May 11, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #31 of 69
LOL I was sooo stoned I dont remember! (oh thats not what were talking about!? doh forget I even mentioned it
blink.gif
) but i vaguely remember listening to Foghat Live, thats a good one or Rolling Stones Some Girls. I think I wore the grooves out of that one!

May 11, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #32 of 69
To corral some of the loose horses...

we're talking about the genre of 'stoner rock', not 'rock that in my opinion is good to get stoned to'.

The band Sleep's record Jerusalem is a cornerstone of the genre. I also second the recommendation of Electric Wizard's Dopethrone record, never was a recording so suited to listening in a car REALLY REALLY LOUD. Subwoofer mandatory.

May 11, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry

we're talking about the genre of 'stoner rock', not 'rock that in my opinion is good to get stoned to'.

The band Sleep's record Jerusalem is a cornerstone of the genre. I also second the recommendation of Electric Wizard's Dopethrone record, never was a recording so suited to listening in a car REALLY REALLY LOUD. Subwoofer mandatory.

i still say WEEN.

here's one of their old promo shots, fer chrissake:

promo2.jpg

i mean, look at these eyes:

p14.jpg

the_pod.gif

May 11, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #34 of 69
VicAjax said:
i still say WEEN.

p14.jpg

Dude, I was THERE.

Dean and Gene and their DAT machine. Everyone was dancing. Damn, that was like, 13 years ago. March 1992 if I am correct.

-jar

May 11, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #35 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Dude, I was THERE.

Dean and Gene and their DAT machine. Everyone was dancing. Damn, that was like, 13 years ago. March 1992 if I am correct.

-jar

oh man... you're right in the heart of ween territory, aren't you... that oh/pa/nj circuit.. you lucky dog.

i saw ween in atlanta when they were touring for pure guava, and then with their first full band for chocolate and cheese. the first show they were so gone it was just funny. the second show was unfreakinbelievable. still ranks as one of the best live shows i've ever seen.

May 12, 2005 at 10:45 AM Post #37 of 69
Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun for me

I second what MichaelFranks mentioned...check out Isis

May 12, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #39 of 69
So coincidental, but without seeing this thread, I was listening to Kyuss Blues for the Red Sun this a.m. on my commute (with my iPod 4G and Meier Porta Corda and Sennheiser HD-25s...nice!). Modern "stoner rock" is definitely what the initial replies to this thread have referred, altho there's lots of music that folks enjoy in the other state o' mind.

I have a lot of Kyuss and Kyuss derivative bands and just picked up one of the "desert sessions" cd's. I do love this sabbath offshoot type stuff. The riffs...

- walkman

May 12, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry

The band Sleep's record Jerusalem is a cornerstone of the genre.

Aye! As is their "remake," Dopesmoker.

I also love Matt Pike's new band, High on Fire, especially Surrounded By Thieves, which I am simply unable to contemplate removing from my car's 6 disc CD changer.

May 12, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
So coincidental, but without seeing this thread, I was listening to Kyuss Blues for the Red Sun this a.m. on my commute (with my iPod 4G and Meier Porta Corda and Sennheiser HD-25s...nice!). Modern "stoner rock" is definitely what the initial replies to this thread have referred, altho there's lots of music that folks enjoy in the other state o' mind.

I have a lot of Kyuss and Kyuss derivative bands and just picked up one of the "desert sessions" cd's. I do love this sabbath offshoot type stuff. The riffs...

- walkman

For a band that would make you swear Kyuss were back together, check out Lowrider. They're pretty shameless, but they rock real good. Their last album was called ODE TO IO. With song titles like "Dust Settlin'" and "Sun Devil" leave little doubt as to the style of rock these Swedes play. To quote Allmusic.com: "serious fans of stoner rock are encouraged to put aside their prejudice and give Lowrider a chance."

I don't know what happened to them. This album is a few years old already.
Their split cd with Nebula on Meteor City is a definate must-have as well. Both bands deliver very memorable tunes that rival anything on their full-lengths.

-jar

May 12, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoise
Aye! As is their "remake," Dopesmoker.

I also love Matt Pike's new band, High on Fire, especially Surrounded By Thieves, which I am simply unable to contemplate removing from my car's 6 disc CD changer.

High On Fire-Blessed Black Wings check it out! What a fantastic album!

May 12, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #43 of 69
I don't think anyone has mentioned St. Vitus and the Obsessed. Both bands are worth checking out for their heavy Sabbath style riffing (St. Vitus is brutally slow, Obsessed a bit more animated), but between both bands, they probably have about 1 full cd of worthwhile songs. Wino (The Obsessed was Wino's main band, but he joined St. Vitus for a few years as well) just isn't the best lyricist that ever was, but both bands do have some classic tunes. There used to be a St. Vitus comp called HEAVIER THAN THOU (on SST) which pretty much sums up their early stuff and contains most of their best songs ("Born Too Late", "Windowpane" and "Look Behind You"). The Obsessed have a couple albums and a comp out as well (look for THE CHURCH WITHIN in a cut-out bin near you).

-jar

May 13, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #45 of 69
First off i wanna say thanks to you all for such great recommendations. I have so many new cd's to listen to: it is awesome.

Anyways, i have been looking everywhere for the Masters of Reality Self Titled cd and can't find it anywhere. Does anybody know where i could possibly find it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back