Best SS amp synergy for HD650 DAC1 Pre
Aug 17, 2008 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DARKHAVEN

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to use the preamp section of the DAC1 to run to a solid state amp and need recommendations for best synergy. The DAC1 Pre has balanced outs, which some have said are not "truely" balanced, but regardless, they are an option. Should I bother with a balanced amp if the pre doesn't output true balanced? Is it even worth while, or should I forgo that mess and stick with a standard RCA rout to the amp? If so, which SS amps have the best synergy with the warmth of the HD650? I've heard the Little Dot MK V is nice, but perhaps below the system I'm going for in terms of what it can really do for the HD650s. Any thoughts?

Aug 17, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 8
Hello,

Why not use the in-built headphone amp (HPA2)? Personally, I think it is state-of-the-art in terms of transparency and vanishing distortion into most headphone loads.

I have been using the DAC1 USB for more than a year now with this arrangement.

Cheers,
cansman

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi,

I've used DAC1 for about a year with HD650, I found it works fantastic with PS Audio GCHA. It might seem funny to use DAC on an amp which has DAC chip build -in, but the soundsatge/detail become so much better and also add some warm in it.

By the way, I was use unbalance connection(Zu RCA cable).

I'd say there is definitely great synergy in them.

Gene

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 8
I'd be considering a tube amp to compensate for the colder, analytical sound of the DAC1 - maybe an SP, or Woo Audio, or Darkvoice, which all sound great with the Senns.

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be considering a tube amp to compensate for the colder, analytical sound of the DAC1 - maybe an SP, or Woo Audio, or Darkvoice, which all sound great with the Senns.

I'll second this suggestion.....

Peete.

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cansman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

Why not use the in-built headphone amp (HPA2)? Personally, I think it is state-of-the-art in terms of transparency and vanishing distortion into most headphone loads.

I have been using the DAC1 USB for more than a year now with this arrangement.

Cheers,
cansman

Actually, that's what I was planning on doing in the beginning, but after much research here, the consensus (for the most part) is that the built-in headphone amp is not up to par with the DAC (or the headphones for that matter). I'll certainly use it as a stopgap until I can afford a better amp, but Woo and Darkvoice seem to be a strong recommendation for this combo. It's certainly something to think about.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Go ahead and enjoy the various amp combinations when you have the opportunity. But don't forget to choose what you personally like
smily_headphones1.gif
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back