Best Squeezebox capable alternative to MOG now that it is going away
Jan 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ruleof72

100+ Head-Fier
I just saw the news about Beats Audio shutting down MOG 
mad.gif
 I've been a happy user of MOG  to stream music to my Mad Dog headphones through my Squeezebox and Schiit Magni. It integrated perfectly with the Logitech server app on my tablet and the quality was great. Now it appears that Beats is dropping (at least for now) the ability to feed into Logitech server/squeezebox.

I know there are other streaming services but which one is the closest in quality to MOG? I may try and demo Spotify but I think it is only compatible with the Squeezebox radio and Squeezebox Touch, not my "old skool" original Squeezebox. 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 5
I was going through the same though process and found that the Spotify app works on my Transporter.  Haven't tried it on an Old Skool SB though because I don't have one.  I suspect that if MOG works, then Spotify will work also. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 5
  I was going through the same though process and found that the Spotify app works on my Transporter.  Haven't tried it on an Old Skool SB though because I don't have one.  I suspect that if MOG works, then Spotify will work also. 

I'll find out in a few hours. I plan on signing up for the Spotify trial this evening and seeing if it loads up on my logitech server.

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 5

I'll find out in a few hours. I plan on signing up for the Spotify trial this evening and seeing if it loads up on my logitech server.

Well, its bad news. Spotify does not work with my old Squeezebox. I guess I all can hope for is that Beats comes up with an app for the Logitech server before MOG goes bye bye.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 5
I found a solution!!! There is a third party plugin for Spotify that allows it to be streamed to the older Squeezebox models like my Classic. Just search for the "triode spotify plugin" and you should find it. Here's a link to a forum post over on the slimdevices page

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?79706-Announce-Spotify-Premium-Plugin-(Beta)

It took all of 5 minutes to set it up in the advanced settings of the Logitech Media Server settings. Spotify is now on the Logitech remote app that I use to control my two Squeezeboxes, streaming at 320kbps. Very nice!

I will be cancelling my MOG membership in the next 30 days. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back