best speakerset for HQ listening ?
Sep 18, 2005 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ambro

New Head-Fier
hey there guys

this year I'm going to college and be living in a small room all alone!

I'm willing to invest in a decent audio-setup ( headphone , speakers... )

Now I was wondering if buying a decent 5.1 surround set ( like Logitech Z-5500) would be a smart thing to do ?? ( purpose is mp3's , movies and games )

Or is buying a couple of speakers of a well known audio-only brand better ?
Oh , and my source is my computer !
smily_headphones1.gif

hope to get audiophile answers
icon10.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

hope to get audiophile answers

Hope you're not offended when I say that you probably should avoid computer speakers at all costs, even the Logitech/Klipsch lineups.

It'd be more beneficial and the sound quality would be better if you just bought an integrated amp or a receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers.

If you want more information, just ask. However, I believe that if you're looking for decent sound quality, you will not find it in the PC speakers market. I know from experience
eek.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 6
Bookshelf speakers on a dorm room desk, though, can be a bit of an overkill, size and sound wise. Look at this picture and tell me what you think.
dvsjl1.jpg

The guy later reported headache/nausea and other symptoms because he didn't shell out enough for a decent pair of near-field monitors and got regular bookshelf speakers instead. But it would be a different story if you've got the space for it.

Sep 23, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 6
speaking from the point of a recent graduate...get a small system that you won't mind getting abused!!! I brought Spica TC 60's around with me for 4 years...They were slightly on the large size for the dorm room venue. Get yourself a decent (not overly good and expensive) pair of bookshelf speakers. Ones that will crank party tunes as well as indie/jazz. Your listening pleasures will change along with your opinions is college! Besides all that it would kill you to see nicks in the wood of your much beloved listening boxes! Happy studying...better you than me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back