Best Speakers for PC under $250
Jul 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

juventino

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking to buy new speakers for my PC and TV use. So I would prefer something that allows multiple inputs. I am gonna be listening to music, watching movies and tv shows etc. I very rarely listen to hip hop and prefer music similar to Brit alternative rock, classic rock as well as stuff by prodigy, chemical brothers etc. What I definitely want is clarity. I don't want bass to overwhelm clarity/speech in music and movies.

The models I have thought about are (in no particular order):
1. Logitech Z623 2.1
2. Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
3. Creative Gigaworks T3
4. Altec Lansing MX6021
5. M-Audio AV40
6. Bose Companion 20

Please feel free to suggest other models. I am located in India so what costs 250 in US won't necessarily be the same here. And some brands might not be available here.

By the way, my PC has on board audio and it's crappy but I will be using it for the time being and perhaps purchase a USB soundcard a couple of months later.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm afraid to say this but going PC/Multimedia would land you cheap, muddy sound which would ruin your music 
frown.gif
 Try dipping into the used audio hardware market where u at and hunt down a stereo amp/receiver and a pair of bookshelf? For brand new/near field look into TA2020 amps as well ^^

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm not sure about multiple inputs, but I do second the suggestion above. Used speakers sold locally usually are fantastic deals.

If you want to buy new, a great computer speaker is the Swan M200. Even better would be going the passive + amp route. I would try for a Cambridge S30 and a Lepai TA2020. No idea what prices are like in India, but good luck!

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Hi,

I'm looking to buy new speakers for my PC and TV use. So I would prefer something that allows multiple inputs. I am gonna be listening to music, watching movies and tv shows etc. I very rarely listen to hip hop and prefer music similar to Brit alternative rock, classic rock as well as stuff by prodigy, chemical brothers etc. What I definitely want is clarity. I don't want bass to overwhelm clarity/speech in music and movies.

The models I have thought about are (in no particular order):
1. Logitech Z623 2.1
2. Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
3. Creative Gigaworks T3
4. Altec Lansing MX6021
5. M-Audio AV40
6. Bose Companion 20

Please feel free to suggest other models. I am located in India so what costs 250 in US won't necessarily be the same here. And some brands might not be available here.

By the way, my PC has on board audio and it's crappy but I will be using it for the time being and perhaps purchase a USB soundcard a couple of months later.

Thanks in advance.

[size=1.7em] Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 Channel Multimedia Speaker System with Subwoofer are really nice. About  $145.98[/size]

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Soundsticks-III-Multimedia/dp/B0042F3K9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343613084&sr=8-1&keywords=soundsticks+iii+harman+kardon

Only other speakers around the same price as the Harmon Kardon that are good are Klipsch but are a bit boomier not bad if you like more bass they would be a good option. $149.99

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1343613203&sr=1-1&keywords=klipsch

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 11
http://www.head-fi.org/t/610846/the-amazing-60-dollar-3rd-world-full-size-hi-fi

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Last week I was looking for speakers for my laptop with a budget of $200. I got the Klipsch Promedias and returned them. Garbage. Got the M- Audio AV40's, much better! I returned them two days later simply because I saw the BX5D2's for $186 when they are normally $300 everywhere else. I then went to Guitar Center and had them price match them and I was set. They are far superior to the AV40's. The BX5D2's get my vote.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816174-REG/M_Audio_9900_65174_00_BX5a_Deluxe_v2_5.html

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I had checked out the Audioengine A2s and wasn't impressed. The A5's where better but I still wasn't impressed.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 11
I'm using the Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers and have been doing so for a couple of months. Used to use a pair of JBL LSR 2325P studio monitors, but moved them to the TV as I had to make more room on my table. All I can say is there is a lot of good, solid bass. Midrange and treble is decent for a computer speaker. Obviously not as sparkly as a studio monitor - but listenable. Bought for $240 AUD, so I would imagine it being cheaper in the US. http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gaming-High-Power-Speaker-CA-SP211NA/dp/B004H0MQYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343898372&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back