Best speakers for around..
Jan 2, 2011 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jakebake

Head-Fier

OK, I am raising my budget a little. Give me your opinions on the best bookshelf speakers for music with great detail and imaging for around $500 or so. I am mostly looking for passive and they do not have to have great bass because i will be using a sub!
Just looking for some good options to check out

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 12
Passive bookshelf speakers for $500?

Infinity Modulus, the originals with EMIT-K tweeters.  You will find none better.  Used they're available for $300-$400 all the time (new retail was $1000/pair, plus $300/pair for stands).

They will make the Swans, and pretty much any other bookshelf speaker in existence, sound paleolithic in comparison.  Infinity's goal when creating them was to make a bookshelf system with as much of the performance as their vaunted IRS speakers as possible - and they did an admirable job.

They were intended primarily to go with a matched $2000 servo sub, but those are quite rare these days.  If you don't have a sub already, you may want to look for Infinity "SSW" servo subs from the 1990s; they are also relatively rare, but cheaper and will go well with the Modulus.

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 12
nice looking speakers the Inifinity.  Most impressive in your general price range that I heard recently at RMAF were the Silverline Audio Minuets.  Nothing else at the show caught my ear for so little.  $600 new but you may be able to find for less, since at least one dealer had show specials at your price point.

http://www.silverlineaudio.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=91

good luck

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 12
$600 and real rosewood?  Sign me up!  Well, I don't have the money and I'd rather spend that on a pair of Moduli being an Infinity fan, but those definitely look great.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
nice looking speakers the Inifinity.  Most impressive in your general price range that I heard recently at RMAF were the Silverline Audio Minuets.  Nothing else at the show caught my ear for so little.  $600 new but you may be able to find for less, since at least one dealer had show specials at your price point.

http://www.silverlineaudio.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=91

good luck

Those look very nice. Where do they have them for sale though?
also do you guys know anything about these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150449294364&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3184wt_1139 Can get them for 450.

or I was thinking either klipsch rb51
or emp e41

wish i could just audition them, but I can't find anywhere in AZ

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:

OK, I am raising my budget a little. Give me your opinions on the best bookshelf speakers for music with great detail and imaging for around $500 or so. I am mostly looking for passive and they do not have to have great bass because i will be using a sub!

I'd highly recommend  > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Logitech-Z-5500-Speakers-5-1-Surround-Sound-505W-RMS-/270651157912?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3f0410ed98

Logitech Z-5500  ^ incase the link doesn't work?

Had these for around 4 years and I love them :)

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

I'd highly recommend  > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Logitech-Z-5500-Speakers-5-1-Surround-Sound-505W-RMS-/270651157912?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3f0410ed98

He wants passive bookshelf speakers (implying he already has a sub or has a separate budget for it) and you suggest an active 5.1 system for PCs?  How exactly does that fit what he is looking for?  And have you heard anything in the speaker realm beyond Logitech and Creative?

Seeing multiple similar recommendations for the 2300/5500, one in every "What speakers should I buy?" thread regardless of what the OP is looking for, doesn't exactly ring a good vibe.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

Seriously? What is the basis of your recommendation? Are you a logitech seller?

Never get Z5500. Atleast not for music. & for 500$, not getting z5500 is a no-brainer. Never commit the mistake of buying that for music.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 12
I agree with BBB.  I actually have the whole Modulus system and it's great.  The bookshelves are amazing, but you'll want a sub.  I have the original system, including the stands and wall mounts.   Unfortunately my midrange driver just died on one and the other looks to be on it's way out.  Anybody need a project?

BTW, BBB.  This is funny that I found you in a Modulus thread.  I am living in Trollhattan but am from Michigan.  Strange... Sweden, Michigan and Modulus.  Coincidence? Oh, and I'm a biker too... MTB and road.  This year will be my 6th Vatternrundan.

~Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back