Best Speakers for a computer ~$450SGD
Jun 5, 2015 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Squirtleyourmom

New Head-Fier
Well I've been using some cheap $30 creative speaker for a while (2 Satellites & a Sub) but am looking for an upgrade.
Though the bass is already good now I'm just looking for a speaker with better deeper and punchier bass but also good clarity in mids and highs. I'm gonna use this mostly for games and movies but also sometimes for listening to EDM or Rock music.

What should I get a studio monitor, like Swan D1080MkII 08, Swan M200MkII or Audioengine A5, or some pc monitors like, Logitech Z906 or Corsair sp2500 or just some home theatre systems they use for tvs?

Any suggestion for a good speaker is appreciated :) Thanks in advance

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 11
First, Swanns and Audioengine are generally not considered studio monitors, but rather entry level audio enthusiast class powered monitors. And yes. I think they would be a better choice than computer multimedia speakers like Logitech and Corsair if you want the best overall sound.

And pro audio studio monitors could be a good choice, depending on what is available where you are that fits your budget. For example, JBL LSR 305? KRK Rokit 6? Then later if you decide you want even deeper bass, you could always add a sub.

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 11
First, Swanns and Audioengine are generally not considered studio monitors, but rather entry level audio enthusiast class powered monitors. And yes. I think they would be a better choice than computer multimedia speakers like Logitech and Corsair if you want the best overall sound.

And pro audio studio monitors could be a good choice, depending on what is available where you are that fits your budget. For example, JBL LSR 305? KRK Rokit 6? Then later if you decide you want even deeper bass, you could always add a sub.

+1

I agree with everything Cel said.

Certain home theatre systems can also deliver great sound (like the ones from KEF and Definitive Technology), but those are pricey.

The best bang for your buck are bookshelf speakers a.k.a. monitors. There is an interesting offer for studio monitors on Massdrop right now. These are also handy because they are active speakers, so you won't need external amping:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/m-audio-m3-8-three-way-studio-monitor

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 11
My suggestion would be a pair of emotiva airmotiv5s active monitors. With a fuse upgrade and a pair of the emotiva iec power cords their performance is greatly enhanced. I talk out of experience I have a pair of their older airmotiv 5s which are my resident computer monitor speakers and they perform decently with the stock cord and fuse. But they get a whole lot better with the emotiva iec power cords they sell and replacing the stock fuses with hi-fi tuning supreme fuses like I have done . it would be difficult to better them for anywhere near this kind of money.
   I am sold on active speakers there is no way I am going back to passive speakers again. The actives are just so much more convenient and in some ways have huge advantages over passive designs.

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 11

Thanks for the suggestion 
bigsmile_face.gif
 but in Singapore I only have availability KRK Rokkit 6 and Yamaha HS7/5 the pricing are as follows (pairs),

Yamaha HS5 - 450
KRK Rokkit 6 - 550
Yamaha HS7 - 650

Which would be the best choice? Btwn HS5 and Rokkit 6 idm the price difference but is it worth to go for the HS7s? And I just realised my ****ty speakers right now have a 5" sub so any of this i rekon would provide ample bass
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 11
You'll want to throw away that sub that came with your $30 speakers. Not going to help those studio monitors in any meaningful way, and might even make the midbass sound much worse. In fact, good chance the Rokit 6 has deeper bass extension than a sub with a cheap multimedia set.

The Rokit's would be my choice out of that group. :)

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 11
You may not need it. Good chance those Rokits will have better bass than your computer speakers you had.

If you need one, you could just get this one: http://www.krksys.com/krk-subwoofers/10s.html. I'm guessing it might be available to you.

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 11
  Thanks much gonna order now but just out of curiosity what would the price of a sub cost complementing the Rokit 6?

A rule of thumb I use for 'normal' hifi is this: to get a sub-woofer that will complement your main speakers well, you'll probably have to pay (at least) the same for your sub as you did for both stereo speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back