Best speakers for $200-$300? Epos ELS-C3, Paradigm Atoms/Titans, or Axiom m3ti's?
Oct 16, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
The atoms make you want a center channel? Even with the PSBs, the center image was strong enough that the center channel would be the last of my priorities.

They haven't arrived yet. They were going to be used in my home theater setup so I assumed I would need a center channel as well
eek.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #17 of 40
Ooheadsoo is right; you most likely won't need a center channel unless you place the Atoms very far apart. The Atoms, like most NRC-inspired Canadian speakers, have tweeters with good high frequency dispersion, helping the center image to fill in even if you're listening outside the optimal sweet spot. A subwoofer makes more sense as a priority. Plus you'll enjoy a subwoofer more
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Ooheadsoo is right; you most likely won't need a center channel unless you place the Atoms very far apart. The Atoms, like most NRC-inspired Canadian speakers, have tweeters with good high frequency dispersion, helping the center image to fill in even if you're listening outside the optimal sweet spot. A subwoofer makes more sense as a priority. Plus you'll enjoy a subwoofer more
smily_headphones1.gif

This might be a stupid question... but with 5.1 audio tracks the center channels gets fed its own audio channel.. so where would the center channel's audio go if I only had 2 fronts and no center speaker?

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 40
You should tell the receiver that you don't have a center channel so that it will send the signal to the front speakers, if your receiver will support that.

Oct 16, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #20 of 40
Whats the rest of your budget? A good sub is very important, but if you're going to go with different fronts make sure you make a good investment. Used is always good. I started with original Alphas then added new Alpha A/Vs then a center and finally a sub. The sub was last because I had a small apartment so the bass from the Alphas was sufficient to hold me over. Like the guy above me said, you can set the receiver to phantom mode and the center channel will be sent to the fronts. Pick a good Paradigm front pair and save for the rest.

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #21 of 40
I second the good sub part, but I would suggest that, if you have a smaller room (like bedroom/den), you get Paradigm mini-monitors (~$320-$350) to use as left&rights until you save up enough to get a good, quality sub.

Also, the current mini-monitors (version 3) are up for a refresh, so you might be able to catch them on clearance over the next several months. Alternately, I saw a pair of version 2s on ebay the other day for $250. . .

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #22 of 40
OK, so I just listened to my dormmate's M3Ti's.

They are amazing! The imaging, the "live" feel to the sound, the overall sound quality is just *awesome*. And for only $275 shipped for the pair of bookshelves.

Needless to say, I'll be acquiring them in the near future
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Oh, and (for me) it really dispels the notions that speakers must have to be 5X or even 10X more expensive to match headphones in quality. bah!
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
OK, so I just listened to my dormmate's M3Ti's.

They are amazing! The imaging, the "live" feel to the sound, the overall sound quality is just *awesome*. And for only $275 shipped for the pair of bookshelves.

Needless to say, I'll be acquiring them in the near future
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Oh, and (for me) it really dispels the notions that speakers must have to be 5X or even 10X more expensive to match headphones in quality. bah!
biggrin.gif

Yes, $200 worth of speakers will buy you soundstage no cans (even R10) can ever hope to match. Sad but true.

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #25 of 40
Have you tried Athena Technologies bookshelf speakers? I have a pair of AS-F2 tower speakers and they sound excellent out of the box, and better yet with burn in.

With your budget, you should get either a pair of AS-B1 ($180) or AS-B2 ($250) speakers. They are actually made by the same company that produces Energy and Mirage speakers.

Oct 18, 2004 at 8:23 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo
Yes, $200 worth of speakers will buy you soundstage no cans (even R10) can ever hope to match. Sad but true.

You get soundstage, but you don't get the same tone, articulation, speed, and intimacy for that price. I've spent quite a bit of money on my speaker rig -- I've been through four sets of speakers, the most expensive being $1200, and five integrated amps -- but only recently have I begun to like my speaker rig anywhere near as much as even the KSC-35. It depends on your specific criteria, but in my experience a good, satisfying speaker rig is more expensive than people imagine when they get started with it. My best advice is to buy everything used so you get better quality gear and don't lose money when you swap things in and out.

Oct 18, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by artit
Have you tried Athena Technologies bookshelf speakers? I have a pair of AS-F2 tower speakers and they sound excellent out of the box, and better yet with burn in.

With your budget, you should get either a pair of AS-B1 ($180) or AS-B2 ($250) speakers. They are actually made by the same company that produces Energy and Mirage speakers.

They go much cheaper than that: AS-B1 were ~$100/pair @amazon. AS-B2 went for $150. Even at best buy you can get the B2 for $200 quite often.

Oct 18, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
You get soundstage, but you don't get the same tone, articulation, speed, and intimacy for that price.

Of course not. I only wish the better cans somehow had that soundstage.

Oct 18, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #29 of 40
M3Ti's.... M3Ti's.......

I own the HD580s and Sony CD-3000s (and also the Sensaphonics 2X-S, which are getting remolded so I've never given them the "ideal" listen), and I was still blown away by my friends M3Ti + sub setup.

There's just no doubt that just as headphones are convenient, portable, private, detailed, etc, there are also things that speakers do that cans will never be able to do.

The M3Ti's I listened to just sounded so... live, so magical, so clear and yet punchy. And the sound was not just attached to your head. It was "there", filling up the air in the room. A completely different experience that definitely has its place in the music listening "thing" (for lack of a better word
biggrin.gif
).

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #30 of 40
I have heard the Epos, and at your price range, I'd say you would not go wrong with them. A sub would be a nice complement, as they could you some help to complement in the bass. However, don't get me wrong, they sound very good for the price. Check Audiogon, usually go anywhere between $200-$230 w/o shipping. I would not pay more then $250 for a used pair though as you could get them new for about $285 (+plus shipping)

On the B&W spectrum. I would recommend the DM-302, the predecesor to the DM-303. Do a search at AudioAsylum. These don't pop out on Audiogon that frequently, but when they do go for about $175-200 (+plus shipping).

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back