Best speakers for $150 or less?
Jun 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RichardT

New Head-Fier
I've come across numerous speakers that have great ratings, such as the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1, and Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 2.0 to name a few, but I just can't single one out. For overall sound quality, what would be my best choice?

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 4
  I've come across numerous speakers that have great ratings, such as the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1, and Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 2.0 to name a few, but I just can't single one out. For overall sound quality, what would be my best choice?

You've listed both 2.0 and 2.1 setups, so I guess your 50/50 on getting a sub-woofer?

Sometimes Bestbuy has the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 on sale for $99.
You should be able to find a used ProMedia 2.1 for under $99, on eBay.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 4
I was in the same predicament last year and I ended up getting a used pair of audioengine a2 off ebay. Could not be happier. If you want new, I would go with the Klipsh, they were my second choice.

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 4
If you like the thump of a subwoofer, you can't go wrong with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s.  One of the all time classics.

An alternative is the Klipsch iFi - better satellites and better subwoofer than the ProMedia's, but a complete commercial failure.  And so they sell for <$100 now despite having an MRSP of $400.  But they sound terrific, and boot a neat little remote too.

A used pair of Audioengine A2s or even A2+s will be great for a 2.0 set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back