Best speakers/DAC combo worth 500/600€?
May 11, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #16 of 23
  As mentioned, I have the iFi iDSD micro DAC/headphone amp.  In my setup, I have the PC -> USB cable -> Schiit Wyrd -> USB cable -> iFi IDSD micro -> RCA out -> Schitt SYS (connected backwards by using the RCA out as input) -> Focal Alpha 65 (connected to IN 1).  The reason for the SYS is to utilize it's volume control as a line level attenuator and flipping the two inputs as two outputs.  The attenuation minimizes (almost eliminates the pops) and provides a bigger scale on the iDSD for its own volume control.  This is required because at very low volume (9 o'clock to 11 o'clock), channel tracking is very poor on the DAC and I get barely any right channel signal.  Now I can use 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock on the iDSD and turn the volume on the SYS for listening.  Alternatively, get the Focal CMS 50 but cost a lot more.

I haven't heard the other DACs so I cannot say how they will sound but I like the iFi for PCM and DSD compatibility.  You may even get by selecting the iDSD nano (it's a bit cheaper than the micro).

Cheers.

-H

You've got a very interesting setup, though out of my reach financially. Forgive my ignorance, but would the following scheme be relevant? PC -> USB cable -> iFi Audio Nano iDSD OR Audinst HUD-mx1 -> Focal Alpha 65 ?
Many thanks for your input!

May 11, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 23

Forgive my ignorance, but would the following scheme be relevant? PC -> USB cable -> iFi Audio Nano iDSD OR Audinst HUD-mx1 -> Focal Alpha 65 ?
Many thanks for your input!

That will work but the output level from the Nano may be too high for the Alphas. You'll probably need either a pre-amp  (like a SM Pro Nano Patch - http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/nano-patch-plus) or line level attenuators (like Rothwell Audio's - http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html) before the Alphas.

May 11, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #18 of 23
  That will work but the output level from the Nano may be too high for the Alphas. You'll probably need either a pre-amp  (like a SM Pro Nano Patch - http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/nano-patch-plus) or line level attenuators (like Rothwell Audio's - http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html) before the Alphas.

Thanks again for your quick answer. I may opt for this setup, though I'm still a bit puzzled. Earlier contributions on this thread suggested the relevance of using a DAC with the Alpha 65s might be very small if not nonexistent. This somewhat supports the idea to opt for an inexpensive solution (ODAC, Schiit Modi 2, etc.). Yet I'm asking you, can you hear a noticeable difference when using a DAC on the 65s?

May 11, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #19 of 23
  Thanks again for your quick answer. I may opt for this setup, though I'm still a bit puzzled. Earlier contributions on this thread suggested the relevance of using a DAC with the Alpha 65s might be very small if not nonexistent. This somewhat supports the idea to opt for an inexpensive solution (ODAC, Schiit Modi 2, etc.). Yet I'm asking you, can you hear a noticeable difference when using a DAC on the 65s?

I just wanted to clarify that some high-end DACs are reported by the majority of users to give a dramatic improvement in sound quality -- particularly the Schiit Yggdrasil. I only mentioned not hearing a difference with a DAC I owned.

May 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #20 of 23

The ODAC and the Modi are considered to be very accurate DACs. Spending twice as much more on a DAC from there will not give you the same SQ benefits as say spending twice as much on speakers, if any significant benefit at all.

Plus, subjective comparison of DACs is flawed because expectation bias could easily be what makes us believed that a more expensive DAC sounds a lot better than a cheaper one that measures well.

Note that the iFi Audio Nano iDSD is a combined DAC and headphone amp with a battery. I wouldn't bet on the DAC in the Nano to be better than the Modi or ODAC, although the headphone amp would be useful to have. If you are thinking of buying the Nano and the SYS, I would recommend considering the Modi 2/Magni 2 Uber combo or the Audio-GD NFB-15 instead of having a separate volume control unit.

May 12, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #21 of 23

Sorry for the late reply...got sidetracked with "WORK".  Whodathunkit.

Anyway, the DAC's relevance is to decode your lossless files instead of using your soundcard.  Sorry, I didn't go through the original thread so I may have missed out what you have.  The Modi 2 and Magni 2 recommendation is also pretty good.  I only said iDSD since I've got one and it also does DSD (that my not be a big deal to you).  My only 'advice' was that if you consider the Focal Alpha series, they do not have any input volume control so you will need something that can attenuate it.

This is from the Schiit Audio Modi 2 description page:

Need Volume Control? No Problem.
If you’re using headphones, just add a Magni Uber for adjustable volume via its preamp outputs. No headphones? Just add a SYS Passive Preamp for analog volume control.

Unfortunately, I cannot compare audio quality with and without the DAC in my audio chain as I haven't tried comparing. Sorry...too lazy. :p

Another thing to consider, from what I've heard, pro monitors tend to sound different from typical audio speakers.  I find most audio speakers sound a bit less fatiguing but that's just my experience.

Good luck!

-H

May 12, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #22 of 23
  Sorry for the late reply...got sidetracked with "WORK".  Whodathunkit.

Anyway, the DAC's relevance is to decode your lossless files instead of using your soundcard.  Sorry, I didn't go through the original thread so I may have missed out what you have.  The Modi 2 and Magni 2 recommendation is also pretty good.  I only said iDSD since I've got one and it also does DSD (that my not be a big deal to you).  My only 'advice' was that if you consider the Focal Alpha series, they do not have any input volume control so you will need something that can attenuate it.

This is from the Schiit Audio Modi 2 description page:

Need Volume Control? No Problem.
If you’re using headphones, just add a Magni Uber for adjustable volume via its preamp outputs. No headphones? Just add a SYS Passive Preamp for analog volume control.

Unfortunately, I cannot compare audio quality with and without the DAC in my audio chain as I haven't tried comparing. Sorry...too lazy. :p

Another thing to consider, from what I've heard, pro monitors tend to sound different from typical audio speakers.  I find most audio speakers sound a bit less fatiguing but that's just my experience.

Good luck!

-H

You are all excuse and I cannot thank you - along with any other contributor to this thread - for the numerous and enlightening recommendations that you have given me. I've just ordered the Alpha 65s and I'm eager to use them!
I will definitely go for an entry-level DAC, probably the Modi 2 along with the SYS; I will return them if I can't hear any noticeable difference with the DAC. 
In any case, I will keep you posted and I'm looking forward to sharing my experience using the Alphas here on head-fi forums.

Again, many thanks! :)

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #23 of 23
Im glad to read a bit on how they sound. I have two systems: Schiit Bifrost Uber + Lyr 2 or Valhalla 2 and for desk top speakers Audioengine 2... Im ready to upgrade the speakers. Im tempted to go to the A5+2 (whatever they are named) since I think AE sound is more than adequate; however, I think im going to need to hear some monitors. Christ, my desk already is starting to resemble a small recording studio. Btw... Good point to bring up on attenuation for ALPHA series Focals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back