Best speaker under 200 dollars
Sep 22, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Good computer speaker with subwoofer > cheap hi-fi speaker

I disagree I think the promedia are the best out of mainstream computer speakers(not saying much) but would lose to most budget bookshelf speakers with the t-amp or vintage receiver. M-audio beats them for sure (I have heard both in person), swan I just remember people on head-fi and newegg really like them. I am talking about mainly music, with movies/games on the side. If you are talking about mainly gaming then pc speakers might be better, I just think pc speakers sound terrible with music, the promedia dont sound terrible but they don't do anything special imo.

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look on used market

paradigm
axiom
energy

tons of brands; just try local craigslist; i got energy c-6's for $300 locally

Quote:

oh, and grab a sonic impact t-amp and a power supply for it, that'll cost you $50

Yep. Craigslist is awesome. I picked up all my kit on the local Vancouver craigslist. A T-amp works, but I prefer vintage receivers/integrated amplifiers. You can hook up more than one source, and have pre-outs for later use with your headphone system etc. Right now, I have my amp taking inputs from CD player and my computer, and my iPod dock. It also has 3 (yes, three) sets of speaker outputs - all powered, with 60 watts of output PER CHANNEL.
biggrin.gif
So, when I host a house party... it's going to be rocking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will not be able to match the bass with a 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" woofer.

I see your 6.5" subwoofer (at only 50 watts sustained - don't believe that "200 watt" crap!) with TWO 10" woofers in my pair of Dynaco A-25's. Add in the 3-stage bass boost on my receiver, and I do believe that I can kick any 2.1 computer system's ass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to go the vintage route you will pay close to $100 for a decent amp or reciever to start with depending on how many watts you want...I recommend to not go below 35 watts. Good luck on your quest.

Most of the vintage speakers are actually quite sensitive, and respond quite well on power. Also, their ratings are for SUSTAINED power. Not peak. So, 35 watts sustained can be quite LOUD. 20 watts is more than enough for life in a dorm - don't want to bring the Residence Advisors down on your head, right?

EDIT:

Quote:

please don't break my heart and buy this ****....

Yeah, don't make me sad either.
frown.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #18 of 25
Sep 22, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

please don't break my heart and buy this ****....

i'll be honest and say i think that the folks lauding their pc-speakers just dont' know what the **** they're talking about when it comes to audio, maybe have never heard a good, real setup

hell, i have some polk r50's with my t-amp, they're very cheap, but they're real speakers; i'm sure you can do better with $200, i'm not particular into the polk's, but just to say: there are plenty of options for you with bookshelves, especially used (don't be scared
wink.gif
) without resorting to god-awful computer-speaker setups

some modern-ish favorites are axiom's, paradigm atom and titans, even athenas; you can probably do better if you know what you're looking for with older and vintage stuff, but you need to make sure that you get reasonably efficient speakers for the t-amp, 90db would be nice, but generally you don't want below 87db or so

peace out

you know, i don't know why i bother; i'm sure you'll be scared of the big-bad used market with scary people and go to newegg and buy something with 4-stars and come back and say "a great startup system" and i'll die a little bit inside
wink.gif

heh couldnt agree more
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #22 of 25
Sep 23, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #23 of 25
I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago. I got a set of Athena AS-B2.1, bakc then they were goin for about 100 on the net, dont be scared to get the AS-B2 its the first gen, iv never heard it so i cant comment but from some comments iv read they are very close to the exact same. Those and pretty much any amp will do for a cheap compter set up.

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #24 of 25
Another vote for the M200s. Great for close listening, but do lack the power for room filling sound IMO. Next best in line would be the Atoms, but then you would need a separate amp, which would definitely bump the price way over $200...

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello
I am looking for speakers to hook up to my computer in college dorm.
I am not exactly overflowing with cash, so I cannot afford to spend much more than 200.
I am looking for best sound quality for the money, regardless of whether it is a bookshelf or computer speaker.

Thank you

Look into anything for near field listening, lots of studio monitors are designed for this..some probably at your price point. I would not go the computer speaker route ever again after living with monitors..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back