best speaker system for around $200
Aug 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dfamous

New Head-Fier
Alright so ive had the micca motion mb42s (they peofrform a little better than Dayton b652s for reference) along with the lepai 2020a+ for about a month now and they Just dont perform how i want, the bass isnt tight or hard enough, the speaker will cut out at higher volumes, a little distortion etc. anyway I'm looking for something that'd be an all around upgrade, any suggestions welcome.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 9
Sounds like you need to save up more money.

If your speakers are cutting out, I would imagine that's the amp being overdriven. To get more volume, you can (a) look for a more powerful amplifier and (b) as I mentioned in your previous thread, get speakers with a higher sensitivity rating than the Miccas. The Miccas are only 85dB 1W/1M; get something rated 89 to 90db sensitivity. The Cambridge S30 are nice and have good bass for their size and price and are 90db sensitivity. They will get a little louder with the Lepai.

Then later on once you save up more money, buy a better/more powerful amplifier.

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 9
Hey thanks for the reply, i looked into them, and they seem great though it looks like getting them along with a new amp would be $250-$300 there has to be speakers that surpass the miccas for around 150, the miccas Arent bad i just want something with a little more clarity and bass, any suggestions on a better amp? I'm not an audiophile and so I'm really not trying to break the bank lol.

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 9
Hey thanks for the reply, i looked into them, and they seem great though it looks like getting them along with a new amp would be $250-$300 there has to be speakers that surpass the miccas for around 150, the miccas Arent bad i just want something with a little more clarity and bass, any suggestions on a better amp? I'm not an audiophile and so I'm really not trying to break the bank lol.

It's not about being an audiophile. Your expectations seem like they don't suit your budget. I don't think you'll find what you are looking for in speakers around $150 or less. These Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers on sale at Newegg are considered very good for the money, but their sensitivity is no better than the Miccas. And I'm not sure about how the bass output will be, whereas the Cambridge S30s have both higher sensitivity and good bass for smaller bookshelf speakers. They would improve your current setup without getting a new amp. Then if you still feel you need more volume, save for a good strong receiver.

However, if you want better bass, your best bet might be to look into a budget subwoofer. Dayton SUB800 is a good choice.

For a better amp for your Miccas to get more volume out of them, you could look for a used receiver on Craigslist. I run an Indeed TA2021 t-amp with my desktop setup. It has a bit better sound and a little more power than the Lepai, as well as being an overall better built amp. Although I would not expect it to give you enough extra volume for the Miccas if you have been running them so loud the amp is cutting out on you. For that you likely need speakers with higher sensitivity or much more amplifier power. Higher sensitivity means that for the given amp power, the speakers produce more volume. Most people focus only on amplifier power without realizing how important speaker sensitivity is to the whole volume equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back