Best Source for 500 GBP ($900)?
Oct 5, 2004 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Target1

100+ Head-Fier
I've talked myself into getting a really good source rather than buying good stuff and using my computer to run it (rather I walked into a good audio store and got hooked), and I was wondering if I could get some reccomendatoins here. My LIMIT is $900. If it is $900.01 Please don't even mention it, because before long I'll talk myself into another price jump, and I want to have it no later than summer, and every price jump is a time jump too. I'm looking at a nice used Teac VRDS-9 right now (I have a post set about it), but other than that haven't looked at all. Thanks for any advice,

Mark

PS I have a set of HD 580's, and will get an affordable amp ($300 for now), but hope to have the source for some time possible through my next set of upgrades. I'm in England now studying abroad, and I can get something here to take home, but the US will be where it get used primarily. I can also wait and get something in the US when I get back. Whichever turns out better.

Oct 5, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 13
The Benchmark dac 1 is an obvious choice. Comes with decent included headphone amp, has a switch to go from 120/240 volts on the back, so you can use it both in the US and the UK and is pretty much that price if you order it from the US. Yeah, yeah, it might be a few pence over £500 depending on where you get it from, but you've just saved $300 on the amp.

600smile.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 13
Maybe I was unclear, being as all this is very new to me. I think I'm going to need this source to play CD's as well. I'm not sure that the DAC1 does this. The whole reason I'm getting one is so that I don't have to use my computer as a source any more.

Sorry for the confusion,

Mark

Oct 6, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 13
on ebay uk there is a meridian 506.24 for about £350 if you bid at the last second you could get it for under your limit. I am currently watching it as I am looking for a good source. But then if you look in the cd player section and under marantz you will find one of the rarest ever cd players made the marantz cd 7...
eek.gif

you could also look in the cyrus section. These are very good, offering a slice of the highend for a slice of the price. Aim for at least a cyrus cd7 these go for about £450-500 or Arcam, try also the rega section, but I think the meridian if you can pick it up cheap will blow your socks off. Place a bid. Don't worry I am not the seller. I sell other stuff on ebay. PM if you require further help on UK cd players and amps. Later dude.

Oct 6, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Target1
Maybe I was unclear, being as all this is very new to me. I think I'm going to need this source to play CD's as well. I'm not sure that the DAC1 does this. The whole reason I'm getting one is so that I don't have to use my computer as a source any more.

Sorry for the confusion,

Mark

If you went with a DAC1 all you need is a transport to play the CD's, this could be anything from a cheap DVD player that has a digital output to a dedicated highend transport.

Oct 6, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
If you went with a DAC1 all you need is a transport to play the CD's, this could be anything from a cheap DVD player that has a digital output to a dedicated highend transport.

how about the DCS verdi transport......
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero

I agree, if you have a DVD player (and I think everyone does by this point) all you really need is a DAC. It's especially good if the DAC can handle 96kHz+ sample rates. This offers you tremendous flexibility and upgrade potential.

Oct 6, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 13
Hi Target1,
I have been listening to my Denon 5900 for the past few weeks and i think its a really good source < US$1000 used. If u get a good deal u might be able to get one within your budget. Its a decent redbook player and very good with dvd-a and sacd.
Also if you read around a bit it seems like modded denon (when u have funds to upgrade) is a really good player at any price point.
I haven't listened to many high end players so take my suggestion with a grain of salt
cheers
Rohit

Oct 6, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 13
I second the DAC1, you aren't likely to get a better headphone amp than it's build in for $300 (unless you score a good deal in the used market) and it has great synergy with senns. At $975 used there are plenty of cheap cdp's that would make a good transport for it and keep everything comfortably under your source + amp budget and you always have the freedom of upgrading to a better transport or a computer based transport in the future if you wish.

Oct 6, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm leaning towards the Teac, because the seller is willing to throw in a decent 40 pound head amp for now for a total price of 400 pounds, and he is willing to give me some no interest financing. This gets me a fantastic mechanism, decent DAC, and adequate amp for about 100 pounds up front, and a whole year to pay it off. When I get back to the states in June I will spend about $300 on a DIY kit, source it out, and hopefully get a really nice amp out of the deal. This is the idea as of now, but my opinion has varied radically in the last several weeks.

Comments welcome,

Mark

PS I would really like to get somthing in England, because I need it now for the many hours spent studying (and relaxation breaks), and shipping will add at least $50 if not more to get something that weighs 15 to 20 pounds over the pond.

Oct 6, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 13
OK, but as drminty pointed out to me before, is it really worth the £300 or so premium over the US model? I cant see it costing that much extra to post.

Edit: Or perhaps your not talking about the Benchmark now? Twice in the same thread I've failed to read something properly, lol
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back