Best soundstage?
Jan 28, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 6
For about 1k USD? Soundstage for headphones

I've not heard them personally, and you would need to buy them used to fit in your budget, but the Sennheiser hd800s is often cited for having a good soundstage.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 6
The two headphones that are known for having legendary staging are the Sennheiser HD800 and AKG K701. Both are quite upstream dependent. I would purchase neither w/o a good amp and DAC to feed them.

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 6
The HD800/800s soundstage is indeed very good, and it is a bit unlike most headphones in how it achieves it. The drivers are moved well away from your ears and as far forward as practical, to provide a more frontal presentation. The result is certainly very good, although probably better for some kinds of music/recordings than others.

You definitely would need some kind of amp for them if you don't already have one. You don't necessarily need a super expensive one to get good results, though. You could certainly pick up a decent amp and a pair of used HD800 for well under $1k.

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Yep as others have said the HD-800 is pretty much king of soundstage. As they also said you will most likely need a amp .

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 6
HD800s is my vote

Users who are viewing this thread

Back