Best soundstage headphones
May 11, 2006 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

luidge

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, i would like to buy new head phones since i am looking to get better soundstage in my music. I have a pair of unmod k240S, HD212, KSC-75 and soon MDR-E888LP. I want to find a pair of head phone that would really upgrade the effect of distance and 3D in my music. When i had my first pair of MDR-E888LP i realised that there was sound i never heard in my music, wich was now really clear and brite and i could hear different layers of instrument in some of the soung i listen to often. So i am gonna get that impression again with my new pair of sony earbuds but i would like to enhance the soundstage to the maximum. Wich headphones could you propose me, max 200$.

-Luidge

May 11, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
Hmm... I'd go with either an AKG K501 or Senn HD 600 (it would probably have to be a used one at that price).

Since some people say that HD580 and HD600 sound alike, soundstage too?
And what about HD555 since i can get a cheap pair. Do you think that would be good to try them out?

May 12, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 28
While the dt880s have a wide soundstage, they dont have the same level of instrument separation as AKGs. The K501 is nice, the K601 is better. You can get it $219 shipped from headfi sponsers.

May 12, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 28
I have to say K501 as well. I remember when I tried those, I was totally awed by the soundstage. I also had a bunch of Beyer, Senns and ATs next to it. While everyone of those had their merits, the AKG took the prize for soundstage.. and prompted me to order the K701 (excellent contrast/complement with Grado IMO).

May 12, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 28
K501 fo sho.

May 12, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 28
To get the most soundstage out of most headphones, an ampilfer is needed. Along with bass, a widened soundstage is the most noticable improvement with an amp. That said, the other suggestions in the thread are good.

May 12, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 28
The K501 has a nice soundstage, but it needs an amp. Ditto for the HD600, but it needs even more of an amp, and it needs to be balanced to really amaze you with it's soundstage. Now, I would suggest going the K501/amp route, if you're not a basshead especially, since the 501's are lacking in bass. Otherwise, a good unamped solution with a good soundstage would be the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 or the Sennheiser HD595 50 ohm model. The 595's still would benefit a great deal from an amp, but the requirements aren't as stiff as the HD600 and K501, which absolutely need an amp IMO.

May 12, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 28
I've never tried closed AT phones, but I love my AD900 for it's nice wide soundstage. I've read a few posts saying that the 501's are similar to the 701's in the amp requirement; they require a nice one to sing. My K701's are at almost the 150 hours burn in mark right now, and coming out of a headsave classic, the AD900 is wider to my ears. Also seems to have more airiness to it. Of course maybe after some more burn in and an amp with more juice it will improve. But the AT line seems to sing beautiful without an amp just fine. Although I'd recommend the close 'A' line if you like bass, just from what I read how it sounds similar to the DT7700 bass signature, which I've had in the past.

May 12, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 28
Damn you guys are trying to grab me and throw me in the dark side of the wallet!
But then again i ask for it.
So basicaly the best cheap soundstage headphone opportunity would be the K501?
At 120OHM they surely won't match with an ampless IPOD dont they?
Will they would be ok with a mint or PA2V2 kinda amp?
Damn it's hard getting what we want for cheap
tongue.gif

Anyway, thanks for your time guys, i think i am gonna put my radar on.
And by that time ill try to find a good place to try headphones...but in Quebec City (Canada) it will be a damn hassle.
Oh and what do you think about the HD555 do i need to totaly forget about those for soundstage?

May 12, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge
Hi, i would like to buy new head phones since i am looking to get better soundstage in my music. I have a pair of unmod k240S, HD212, KSC-75 and soon MDR-E888LP. I want to find a pair of head phone that would really upgrade the effect of distance and 3D in my music. When i had my first pair of MDR-E888LP i realised that there was sound i never heard in my music, wich was now really clear and brite and i could hear different layers of instrument in some of the soung i listen to often. So i am gonna get that impression again with my new pair of sony earbuds but i would like to enhance the soundstage to the maximum. Wich headphones could you propose me, max 200$.

-Luidge

Got to be the DT 880s by Beyerdynamic. The absolute biggest, most open, sound stage I have heard and comfy to boot. Not sure if you want the same as you had heard, but these are big, clear, bright 'phones. Used around $180 or so.

May 12, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #15 of 28
K501, dog. I haven't heard the beyers, but it's hard to imagine a better soundstage in the K501 pricerange (and perhaps those above it as well). Make sure you got the gear it needs, though.

edit: don't even think of trying the 501 out of the ipod. The phone needs proper amplification, especially for soundstage performance as others have noted. For what it's worth, i've tried mine with a PA2v2 and my iAudio U3, and the combo sounded thin, distorted easily, and generally sucked. However, I've tried the PA2v2 through my Edirol, and it actually drove the K501 fairly well. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back