Best soundstage and bass on closed back headphones?
Jul 21, 2018 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

catom

100+ Head-Fier
i have a few sets, including audio technical msr7 and hifiman 400i, and after EQing some more bass into the hifiman I love them...but...I’m starting a new job in an office so I’m afraid of bothering them with sound.

The msr7’s are closed of course, but after a while they get a little fatiguing. I bent the headband a bit to reduce the clamping pressure but that too eventually gets to me. Yes, they could sound slightly sibilant depending on the song, but it didn’t bother me too much.

I’d probably just use (and will for a while) the msr7’s, but I’d really love a more comfortable pair that had a little more punch with the bass. I know there’s always a trade off. Deep, clearly present, but detailed/textured. Not necessarily “bass head.”

Any thoughts? One of the Beyerdynamics maybe?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 20
Soundmagic HP150/HP151 headphones.
Should be a better buy then the Beyerdynamic DT770.

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 20
Thanks, not a bad price either. I saw your post elsewhere and you mentioned they were easier to drive than the 770s. So that’s cool, because I won’t bring my amp to work. I guess I have a dragonfly though.

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 20
The 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP150/HP151 might be as power hungry as the 250-Ohm DT770.
(so my opinions do change)

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 20
I was reading some reviews on build quality...experience any issues? I'm gentle and careful on equipment. I don't even have a cell phone case.

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 20
Try looking into the 1More Triple Driver. It has very nice bass,highly portable,and doesnt require an amp.

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 20
Hmm, really? Some threads I just read on them seemed to indicate they were better for brighter songs. I'd certainly be curious how they compared to the MSR7's but I'm trying to find a little more bass and from what I've read, it's giving me some doubts. That said, I did see a pair on eBay for a pretty reasonable price. So might be worth a try. While I can't exactly lug my tube amp to work, I'm sure I can find something portable to do the trick. So I'm less concerned about the impedance.

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 20
I was reading some reviews on build quality...experience any issues? I'm gentle and careful on equipment. I don't even have a cell phone case.

I have a pair of HP150 since summer 2014 and they are still in mint condition. No marks anywhere and the plastic yokes are still perfectly working.
Only the earpads are used, I replaced them with some Brainwavz pads. They come with a rigid carrying case.

The HP150-151 have a decent soundstage and good bass (more than your HE400i but still no basshead level).

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 20
haha, while I'm getting a pay raise, I don't think my wife would be thrilled if I drop $1,000 on a set of headphones. Not that I wouldn't love to.

Jul 21, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 20
I dig the B&O H6 2nd Gen. That's one to look up. Not super punchy in the mid bass but the sub-bass has some real authority and great soundstage. Excellent treble too. Clear and crisp with no fatigue.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 20
Oh yea, didn’t massdrop have a fostex like that recently? They’re planar too, right?

Hmm. Before I even asked my mind was on the DT770, not sure which variant. But you all are really giving me a good bit to research. Thank you!

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 20
Sony MDR-Z7 is closed-back, exceptionally comfortable*, and is reported by many to offer the best soundstage of any closed-back headphone. If you don't mind buying used, pairs can be found for under $300.

*This was ultimately why I decided to keep mine. As a wearer of glasses and owner of a giant head, headphone comfort has long been a literal and figurative sore spot for me. They feel so much better than Beyer DT880/990, which are always mentioned when it comes to comfort in this price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back