Best sounding 'transport' for Portable playback
Jan 24, 2019 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

fzman

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I bounce back and forth from wanting a single-box solution vs. a 'stack' for on-the-go music-listening. I use my portable gear on walks, as well as at the local coffee shop for lunch breaks, and will also listen while grocery shopping, etc... I am a big guy, and all of my clothes have lots of pockets, so size/bulk/multiple units are not much of an issue.

I am interested in hearing from people who have tried various devices as file-playback sources, aka 'transports' and whether there are appreciable sonic differences between using a smartphone (LG V30), vs something like the Sony WM-1Z or a flagship A&K dap via its USB digital output. If so, which external dac/amp produces summit-level sonics.

I'm not concerned with trying to drive power-hungry full-sized cans, and am not concerned with streaming capabilities, just stored content.

I've heard my share of gear, but do not want to appear to be shilling for brands we sell (or don;t sell), and also do not want to take up every listening opportunity to compare gear vs. enjoying my music.

Curious to hear from your experiences,

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 2
Sad to see such a great topic being dead. Thats quite a tricky issue, and many don't even bother.

I've just started investigating this issue, and pretty much interested in it.
I've compared only Hiby R3 via USB and Hidiz AP100 via coax by myself (AP100 sounds more unnaturaly sharp, R3 is more fluid and a bit darker, I prefer R3), + have heard the effect of galvanic isolation and converter (but these 2 are mostly not for transportable setups), but thats it.

Also, I've heart on a grapevine, that AK320 is the best portable transport, but haven't tested it yet.

What have you found so far?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back