Best sounding Player for PC?
Dec 7, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Technex

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm just wondering what the best sounding player is for Windows 7 out of the following:

Foobar2000
VLC Player
KMPlayer (Latest versions seem to be including spyware though)

(Flat EQ)

Thanks.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 32
I'm a Foobar faithful and have never been disappointed. Added the DVD-A plug-in not long ago, on top of the many components they offer already and have never been happier with any other player.

Don't let the simple touch fool you upon install. It can be tailored in many different ways.

kameleonm.jpg

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 32
foobar just for the plugins alone.....not to mention how you can customize it.

the software player has little to do with the sound....unless you using crossfeed plug ins or whatever...its all the format of music...

as long as your playing through the same sound card, its the same.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 32
Foobar2000 is flexible , highly customizable, supports asio and kernel streaming plugins. It is also fast to startup and lighter on system than winamp, which i previously used.

On the laptop i use as a source i have Ubuntu linux installed so i use Rythmbox, which is quite a good player indeed.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 32
Foobar ftw. I got converted and I have never looked back. The plugins are amazing, especially when you can simulate 5.1 surround.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 32
I just tried the kmplayer with reclocker and it is excellent. The audio quality is better than any other player ive tried. Only problem with the reclocker is that the music isn't gapless. Another problem that I noticed is that aac/alac files are lower in volume vs flac or mp3

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 32
I really would look no further than Foobar2000...

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 32
I think many go for Winamp as it is the easiest to setup and skin. Both have many plugins and are configurable. Foobar has the widest possible setup ability if you get into the scripting and skinning.

So, depending on what you want Winamp and Foobar

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 32
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I went ahead and downloaded foobar2000, seems nice but I can't really say the sound quality is any different than Windows media player or KMPlayer. But still very good.

Only using it on my Laptop so there are no advance functions on the soundcard, I don't think any of those plugins will work on my soundcard.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 32
KM-Player FTW

You can also use Winamp compatible plugins with it, I personally use Electri-Q for it's parametric equaliser functions for bass management.

Btw guys, what's Reclocker?

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 32
I consider gapless playback of both FLAC and LAME encoded MP3 to be a critical sound quality issue. I won't accept improper gaps added to Pink Floyd album tracks or my classical music tracks. On that basis, I would go with Foobar2000 from the list of players you listed. Foobar does gapless playback properly.

My preferred player though is J River Media Center or J River Media Jukebox. J River does gapless properly (though its not set up to do so by default). The choice between Foobar and J River would be one of user preference for UI, file management philosophy, particular plug-in support, and other user preferences. Both are good choices.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 32
I also like J River Media Center the most
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back