Best sounding noise cancellation headphones
Mar 28, 2013 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
I´m looking for great noise cancellation (or closed) headphones, any recommendations?

I´ve tried Bose QC15 and the sound was absolutely terrible! Really harsh upper mids, too much scooped mids and lower mids, kinda ok but a bit muffled and overemphasized bass, lack of upper treble (the air). The noise cancellation and comfort was ok. I´ve also tried UE 6000 and the sound was also terrible. Way way too overemphasized bass, really really muffled. Upper mids ok, but really dark headphones. Also the noise cancellation sucked, is there any actually? Sounded better without the noise cancellation.

So any good ones from Sennheiser, Sony, AKG... and the likes?

Price is no object!

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 6
What kind of music do you listen to?  I am quite fond of the QC15's :)

If you need over ears Sennheiser MM550-X is probably one of the better ones out there - but you seem to have an issue with overemphasized (mid-)bass (which I recall all Sennheisers tend to do - the Sennheiser hump) so it may not be the best solution.  Same applies for on ear (MM450-X).  If you can get the old PXC450, get those as they are still a good pair of all purpose headphones, but you will still observe some sort of Sennheiser hump.

If you prefer active noise cancelling EARphones, you could go for the Panasonic RP-HC55's.  They are decently priced.

If you prefer noise isolation, get something like the Shure se425 or SE535, Klipsch X10 (or X5's), Audiotechnica CK100 (if you can still find them)

Hope this helps.

s0126471

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I´m looking for great noise cancellation (or closed) headphones, any recommendations?

I´ve tried Bose QC15 and the sound was absolutely terrible! Really harsh upper mids, too much scooped mids and lower mids, kinda ok but a bit muffled and overemphasized bass, lack of upper treble (the air). The noise cancellation and comfort was ok. I´ve also tried UE 6000 and the sound was also terrible. Way way too overemphasized bass, really really muffled. Upper mids ok, but really dark headphones. Also the noise cancellation sucked, is there any actually? Sounded better without the noise cancellation.

So any good ones from Sennheiser, Sony, AKG... and the likes?

Price is no object!

Since you thought the Bose Q.C. 15 was crap (although in my opinion the noise cancellation was great, but the sound was fair), try checking out the Sony MDR-1RNC..

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 6
I just recently purchased the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B (should be arriving tomorrow)  because I thought it gave me the most bang for the buck at $133.  Didn't really want to spend a lot considering how often I would actually need them.  I think Bose probably has the best noise canceling circuitry but like you, I don't really care for their sound.  The Polk Ultra Focus 8000 are supposed to be really excellent sounding headphones but their noise cancelling may not be the best for really noisy environments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back