Best sounding MP3 Player???
Aug 11, 2005 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

calvinhobs

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get an MP3 player and don't care about bells and whistles...preferably a hard drive player.

I'm looking for the most neutral, "audiophile" sound possible.

Thanks-

Doug

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse
Creative Zen Micro?

Funny you mention that...my research this evening has led that to be my top choice thusfar. Though I'm not sure if I want to go bigger than the 6MB maximum the Micro has to offer.

Also, does anyone know if the Micro and Xtra from Creative sound different at all?

I hear the main differences other than the size and FM capability of the Micro is that the Xtra's menu/controll's can be a bit annoying.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 47
the control is fine, really easy to use, but go for the zen touch instead, its more refined IMO, I keep my xtra because it has the best audio (who mentioned the ipod...i dunno about the newer gens but the 3rd and older were terrible, I mean good...but really lacking in many ways)

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawainpanda
I keep my xtra because it has the best audio (who mentioned the ipod...i dunno about the newer gens but the 3rd and older were terrible, I mean good...but really lacking in many ways)

In otherwords, a neutral sound. Which is what the original poster asked for.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 47
I recently replaced my ipod 4g 20gb player with the Cowon X5.
I like the sound on the X5 better because I can hear the bass and treble better. it's a big difference when I use my E4c. I dont' know how the iPod compare if using a lineout and an amp. I heard the Line-out on the ipod is one of the best.

Aug 12, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #10 of 47
Pair the iPod with a higher impedance phone (like the Cowon X5) and you'll experience a sound that's pretty neutral instead of overtly bass-shy. Thus configured, it will also be noticeably better in quality than the Cowon, the iRiver or the Sony. The line out of the iPod is the best among players in current production that I know of.

Of course, many of us do like some colour in the sound. In that case the iPod is not a great choice. Some of the EQ presets work, but many don't and to get them to work requires time consuming futzing that I am not prepared to go through. But if like me the quality of output is important to a degree, then the iPod is arguably (since it requires the higher impedance workaround to achieve it) the best. The iRiver H320 is the best compromise in terms of a non-headphone-variable sound and a built in line out, but the achievable sound quality is noticeably worse.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 47
How many songs of the best quality compression rate could I fit onto a Creative Zen Micro 6MB?

I'm trying to decide if I want to step up to the Creative Zen Touch 20 MB or not...

I plan on always using the highest compression to get the best possible audio so I want to see how many songs I'll get doing that...

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvinhobs
How many songs of the best quality compression rate could I fit onto a Creative Zen Micro 6MB?

Zen Micro 6MB - About 2/3 a song.
tongue.gif

Zen Micro 6GB - About 600 songs assuming you are going to be using all 320kbps LAME -API mp3s.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvinhobs

Is that the new Creative Zen One? When all you need is one tune?
lambda.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #15 of 47
Woops, I meant GB...yeah, 600 songs isn't very much.

So using my higher math skills that would be about 2400 songs or so on a 20 GB unit?

That is quite a bit more...

What ripping/transferring method provides the highest quality of sound?

IE MP3, WMA, WAV...

And what exactly is lossless?

I keep seeing it but don't know what it means!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back