Best Sounding MP3 for my headphones? Grado/RE2/Koss
May 9, 2009 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Orange1

100+ Head-Fier
I was given a used Zen Vision M, which now refuses to charge! I've had it for a couple months, no warranty of course.

I thought it sounded very good. I have a little sansa 2 gb I had first, and think the Zen sounded better.

Is there an MP3 player that sounds better than the rest especially for my choice of headphones? With Mothers Day tomorrow there may be some really good sales going. So maybe I'll get new with a warranty instead. I was told that prior the unit malfunctioned it was sent back, like a day before the warranty expired, and that this was the replaced new one. Barely used, but barely long lasting for sure!

My burned in but brand spanking new headphones are sr60i and RE2 and KSC75

Thank you

May 9, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 4
No advice?

Will the Cowan D2 make my Grado60i seem more spacious seperated and analytical? And then would the Sony take it in a warmer richer way? I don't know if I'm using these words in an audiophile way, but as a newbie way okay?

I enjoy how rich and driving and seperate things seem on the 60i. As though I am there with the band in the basement, not in an audience, not mixing in a studio. Like it is being played live in front of me. I have not been this excited about my music in decades.

Can you advise based on the nonsense I just spewed : )

Oh, and I think I'm likely to sell my RE2/Fii5 after having tried all the end tips it just lacks a richness to me. I don't enjoy it nearly as much as the KSC75. And for intense listening my 60i has made me very very happy.

Thanks

May 10, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 4
If you enjoy the koss and grado. You might want to look in to a better amp(something better than the fiio e5). Koss and Grado benefit from being drived hard, The more power the better. I'm guessing that the zen might have more juice coming out of the headphone out than the sansa.

May 12, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 4
I'm using a Sony A728 with my Grado SR80 headphones, which should have a similar impedance to your SR60i. The Sony and Grados sound awesome, with a wide soundstage that feels intimate, although I only get this with 320kbps MP3s (Lame --insane preset) from well-engineered CDs.

The A728's default EQ sounds a bit too warm for my taste, maybe because most Grados are a bit warm to begin with. I ended up removing the firmware's bass and treble cut, adding one step of ClearBass and increasing the EQ treble for a more engaging sound. The player has no problem driving the SR80 - most of the time the volume stays at 7 with no distortion or hissing.

Nothing like a good open headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back