best sounding mp3 cd player
Jan 8, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by gusmahler
I just went to Best Buy yesterday. The price of the SP250 went up $20 (to $180), so now it is $80 more than the SP90. Plus, I looked at the packaging (it was out of stock last time I was there) and the "carrying case" just appears to be a pleather covering, with no waist strap or shoulder strap. I would have to buy another carrying case just to get those features. Therefore, the SP250 is not the bargain it originally appeared to be. I didn't buy it.

The pleather case case is actually pretty nice and sturdy, and it does have an extremely strong belt clip. You won't find another case that's so snug and has clear plastic window for the LCD, as well as markings that indicate where all the buttons are. It's really well made for its purpose, which is to protect the SP250 while giving accessibility to all its features.

Jan 8, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by edog

The pleather case case is actually pretty nice and sturdy, and it does have an extremely strong belt clip. You won't find another case that's so snug and has clear plastic window for the LCD, as well as markings that indicate where all the buttons are. It's really well made for its purpose, which is to protect the SP250 while giving accessibility to all its features.

Thank you. Now I actually do have a dillemma. Luckily, Best Buy has a return policy. I will probably buy the SP250 and see if it is any better than the SP90. I'll return the one I like less.

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #50 of 56
I just bought an SP250 at Circuit City ($179) but they have a 20 rebate available.

Sounds good with MX-500's... Awaiting the JMT amp to try the SR-80's with it.

Jan 25, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #51 of 56
Thought I should share my recent experiences...First off, it is amazing that I have held off the urge to get an mp3 player, period, until now. I have over 10gbs of mp3s, and have just begun to archive my cd collection in vbr format. Well the final straw was that I recently got cable internet access, and consequently have added an extra 3 gb in the past two weeks alone, courtesy of audiogalaxy satellite
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyhow, I have wrestled with getting an mp3 player for god knows how long, the problem is that I am picky as heck-fire, and I always feel like the perfect device is just around the corner (rio riot, currently).

But this past week I finally caved. After some research I decided on ordering a RioVolt sp100 refurb direct from Sonicblue ($99.95). I was not going to be too picky about sound quality or whatnot, I just wanted something to casually listen to my mp3s when I am on campus during the day. My rioVolt arrived within 5 days of placing my order (fed-ex two day), but as fate would have it, I got a lemon! The thing wouldn't even spin-up! I would press the on button and the LCD would light-up with "Rio" and the dancer animation, it would take about a minute to power-up, and then it would display "No Disc", when it never spun the disc at all! And then of course, customer service is a biatch. I decided to just do a refund/return, tho they won't refund my initial shipping or the cost of me shipping it back to them. Two full days later, I am still waiting for my RMA# via email! Needless to say, I gave the poor rioVolt a good old smacking, see if I could get it to spin-up at all (hey it works with tv's sometimes, er, don't it?) Finally it did whirr and pop and click and kinda spin chitty chitty bang like, but alas the same "no disc" display.

Anyway, all that I read on message-boards and user comments about RioVolt and the company in general is true: them things are fragile! and their customer service blows!

A Few days later I was in Target and decided to check to see if they carried any cd mp3 players. To my surprise, they carried several, albeit phillips, koss, memorex and audiophase, but since I was boycotting rio, this suited me fine. I then remembered that I had a $30 voucher. I decided to go with the Memorex MPD8810, a garish orange/black water-resistant slab of plastic, $80. I remembered reading some semi-favorable reviews of a Memorex cd mp3 player, so decided to go with this one.

Impressions, it has only been a day of playing around with it, but my initial feeling is that it ain't bad. Sound is adequate, loud and abit bassy, fine for casual listening. It was a four-line text display, reads id3 tags(scrolls them slowly), reads/skips to directorys. It also has a nifty file-search and directory-search feature: you key in the name of a song/directory and it finds it.
Also it reads VBR mp3s fine. It does have trouble with some rogue mp3s downloaded from the internet, which is to be expected, some people don't know how to encode decently.
For $50, I am happy (using koss ksc-35's), now on to the bad...

Cons: (1) Only 120 second anti-shock, when walking it will skip if you just let it flop around in a saddle-bag or backpack. If you put it in a coat pocket or hold it in your hand, it won't skip much when walking. (2) 3-5 second pause between songs, tolerable but teeters on the verge of tolerability. (3) wish that you could browse the cd contents WHILE listening to a song. you have to stop playing a cd to browse it (Does the rio volt or tdk mojo let you browse and play simultaneously?) (4) the line-out is dependent on the volume control, what's the point?!!

But for $50 I think I can't complain...But of course being of the picky sort, I am considering getting either the tdk mojo, rio volt sp250 or slimx (tho having the lcd display relegated to the remote is not very appealing to me at all) Anybody have the TDK Mojo, I am interested in if it's interface is all that. It seems like its ability to load all the song names on initial cd load for browsing, would make a world of difference. I think they sell for about $115 now.......

Cheers

Jan 30, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by sohcahtoa
A Few days later I was in Target and decided to check to see if they carried any cd mp3 players. To my surprise, they carried several, albeit phillips, koss, memorex and audiophase, but since I was boycotting rio, this suited me fine. I then remembered that I had a $30 voucher. I decided to go with the Memorex MPD8810, a garish orange/black water-resistant slab of plastic, $80. I remembered reading some semi-favorable reviews of a Memorex cd mp3 player, so decided to go with this one.

Ugh, I can't believe you actually liked that player. But maybe my Memorex was a lemon. I had that Memorex and I replaced it with the Rio SP90.

* The Memorex had a tremendous amount of distortion when playing MP3 files that didn't happen when playing audio CDs. It almost sounds like you can hear the computer converting the MP3s. In the Rio Volt, MP3s sound nearly the same as audio CDs, at least as far as distortion goes.

* I don't have the Rio in front of me and haven't played MP3 CDs in a while. But to my recollection, you can access the menu of songs while playing another song. I'll confirm when I get home tonight.

* As I posted in a separate message, I got an SP250, intending to replace my SP90 because of the better LCD, the remote, and the tuner. The tuner sucks and the SP 250 broke the second day I had it after a drop of about 2 feet. I returned the SP250 and kept my SP90. I have yet to drop the SP90.

Jan 30, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #55 of 56
just wondering, spending $200 for the iriver slimx is it worth it? do the slimX actually sounds better than the sp90.. [i only care about sound.. i really dont need fancy features.... but willing to spend extra for sound quality]

Jan 30, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #56 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by bass man

gusmahler, what do you mean? like audio hiss or cant play mp3 well?

I guess I mean it can't play mp3 well. It is hard to describe. It's not just audio hiss, there is something else in the background, on the unit I had, that didn't occur when playing normal CDs. It almost as if you were listening to the computer decode the MP3 files.

BTW, the SP90, you can access the directory while playing other songs.

On the other hand, the line out is dependent on the volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back