best sounding mp3 cd player
Jan 6, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #32 of 56
Apparently all you have to do is take the SP100 firmware file named IMP-100.HEX and rename it to IMP-90.HEX. The SP90 will then accept the firmware update just like an SP100 does.

See here:
http://msg.mp3.com/hardware/liststor...1&month=200112

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm seriously tempted to. If any SP90 users do try it, please post the results here. Since the original SP90 firmware file is not available anywhere I can find, I would assume this "upgrade" to your SP90 is not reversable.

Jan 6, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #35 of 56
I use X-CD Roast with a Plextor SCSI CD-R on my Linux box to burn my MP3 CD's. I've burned well over 100 CD's with that setup and it's not made a single bad CD-- very reliable!

Jan 6, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

I use X-CD Roast with a Plextor SCSI CD-R on my Linux box to burn my MP3 CD's. I've burned well over 100 CD's with that setup and it's not made a single bad CD-- very reliable

cool, is the x-cd roast aviable on windows box?

i use nti cd maker 5.0.15. burn it using the romeo file format at disc-at-one at 1x

i think romeo file format has the longest-filename format... correct me if im wrong

Jan 6, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #37 of 56
i run NT and use a smart and friendly 12x burner with adaptec's ezcd creator 4 deluxe and iso 9660-joliet format burning exclusively disc-at-once. i use the joliet format as it's the most compatible with other os's, disc-at-once because cdrom drives and audio cd-players (especially older ones) have less problems reading cd's without multiple sessions, and the adaptec software because it came free with my drive. contrary to what i've read, i haven't found that burn speed has affected the readability of my cdr's. perhaps i've just been lucky though.

romeo does indeed support longer file names than joliet (128 characters as opposed to 64), but i think can only be used in a windows environment. however, i know that some cd-based mp3 players (portable and the home dvd players) support the romeo file system, but it's a hit and miss proposition.

Jan 7, 2002 at 8:28 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

do u think the slimx can read romeo format?

yes, it supports romeo format discs.

for detailed specs on the slimx, you can check the manufacturer's site: http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/imp350_slimx.html

spent several hours on a plane tonight using the player, and i gotta say i'm really happy with it. the remote's controls seemed a bit complicated when i first got the thing, but i quickly was using it without looking at it at all. played with neither skips nor problems through my trek through the airport/airplane and all the jostling of my backpack that it involved (oh how i wish i had some ety's for the plane ride though). some have complained about the volume on some of the iriver products, but using the sportapro's i used a volume setting of 21 (out of 30) and it was plenty loud enough for me, but of course your mileage will vary depending on how loud you encode your mp3's. i mention this as though i know an amp would help with the quality of the sound, an additional device on my portable system just doesn't make sense to me. thus the power output of players was a consideration for me when making my purchase. pm me if you want a copy of the file(s) i used so you can judge the volume at which i encode my files for comparison. one thing i noticed about the slimx is that the mechanism is quite loud when it spins up to read the cd. this noise is supposed to be lessened with the current firmware (though i don't see how), but i'm running with the original firmware right now as i haven't had any problems with it...and they don't offer it (version 1.00) on their site so i don't want to overwrite it.

Jan 7, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #41 of 56
I had a Memorex $80 CD MP3 player from Target. I hated it. There was so much distortion when playing MP3 files, it was almost unlistenable.

I returned it and got a SP90. Much better sound. No distortion when playing MP3 files. I hate the display, though, and it eats batteries quickly.

I am thinking of returning the SP90 and getting the Sp250. Sure it is $60 more (at best Buy), but for that extra cost, I get a carrying case and a rechargeable battery. Those alone would cost $40. Plus I get a tuner and a remote. Seems like much better buy for the features alone. Throw in a more powerful amp (12mV) and it seems like the SP 250 is the way to go, as long as the sound is the same.

As for burning MP3 files, I use Nero (came with my TDK burner). I extract audio using Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de), which is widely regarded as the best ripper available. It also burns audio CDs.

Jan 7, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

I had a Memorex $80 CD MP3 player from Target. I hated it. There was so much distortion when playing MP3 files, it was almost unlistenable.

gusmahler, did u got the memorex 8505 with the "suffix a".. just wondering?

and gusmahler, what headphone do u use?

Jan 8, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by tracylynn

gusmahler, did u got the memorex 8505 with the "suffix a".. just wondering?

and gusmahler, what headphone do u use?

I actually don't remember what the model number was. It was orange and came with a carrying case and a set of headphones.

As for headphones, I tried both Sony ear buds and Koss Portapros. The headphones weren't the problem: there was a LOT of weird background noises when playing VBR MP3 files. These noises aren't present on the SP 90 and weren't present when playing audio CDs on the Memorex.

Jan 8, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by gusmahler

I am thinking of returning the SP90 and getting the Sp250. Sure it is $60 more (at best Buy), but for that extra cost, I get a carrying case and a rechargeable battery. Those alone would cost $40. Plus I get a tuner and a remote. Seems like much better buy for the features alone. Throw in a more powerful amp (12mV) and it seems like the SP 250 is the way to go, as long as the sound is the same.

I just went to Best Buy yesterday. The price of the SP250 went up $20 (to $180), so now it is $80 more than the SP90. Plus, I looked at the packaging (it was out of stock last time I was there) and the "carrying case" just appears to be a pleather covering, with no waist strap or shoulder strap. I would have to buy another carrying case just to get those features. Therefore, the SP250 is not the bargain it originally appeared to be. I didn't buy it.

Jan 8, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #45 of 56
It's a shame that the price went up.
frown.gif

The SP250 carrying case definitely comes with a shoulder strap. My brother takes his SP250s everywhere he goes, just slings it accross his chest. The case also has a plastic window and embossed "buttons" so you can use the SP250 without removing the case.

Too bad it's not side loading
frown.gif
Anybody tried the LCD remote?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back