Best sounding ipod
Sep 18, 2006 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DKMaester

New Head-Fier
I'm looking forward to buying an ipod and some cans for my birthday. I want to know which of the 5G ipods sounds better. It needs to be 5G since i want to buy it refurbished. Also it would be nice to know what mp3 bitrate (hope i wrote that right) is better. I will have (hopefully) some AKG K81-DJs straight out of the ipod. Im not sure if that makes a difference but i put it there just in case.

Thx in advance.

P.S. I'm pretty sure I saw a thread about this i few weeks ago but i can't find it.

Sep 18, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 17
iPod Shuffle.

Go for VBR to compensate for the small capacity.

If you really meant full-sized iPod 5G's, the 30GB and 60GB sound virtually identical.

Sep 18, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0
iPod Shuffle.

Go for VBR to compensate for the small capacity.

If you really meant full-sized iPod 5G's, the 30GB and 60GB sound virtually identical.

I meant any class of ipod but what is VBR?

Thx for helping

Sep 18, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 17
Variable Bit Rate. In general, simplified terms: instead of using a consistent bitrate throughout the track, the encoder intelligently uses varying bitrates in order to conserve space without significant impact on relative sound quality.

Sep 18, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0
Variable Bit Rate. In general, simplified terms: instead of using a consistent bitrate throughout the track, the encoder intelligently uses varying bitrates in order to conserve space without significant impact on relative sound quality.

That makes sence. How about the second best sounding ipod? Is it far from the shuffle? I may go for the shuffle but i might want a bit more space maybe.

Sep 18, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 17
5th Gen., just get the 30gb in your choice of black or white for 179 with free shipping. You'll be happy

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 17
Sep 19, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 17
DKMaester says,
Quote:

which of the 5G ipods sounds better.

I'm certain there are a handful of people who can consistently pick the sound of one iPod over the other. I am not one of those persons.

Quote:

It needs to be 5G since i want to buy it refurbished.

I just ordered a black 60 gig @ $229.00. Great Price!

Quote:

Also it would be nice to know what mp3 bitrate (hope i wrote that right) is better.

I record at 320 bit. I have a 4th generation 60 gig iPod. This iPod holds over 6,000 song and will play for more than 16 days without a repeat.

Quote:

I will have (hopefully) some AKG K81-DJs straight out of the ipod.

From what I can see the AKG's are not world-beaters, but there o.k. For now, a lower bit rate would not matter. Tomorrow or the next day when you buy the amp and the new headphones it might.

Do you want to rip all your albums again? If you can handle a 6,000 song limit on a 60 gig iPod, than rip at 320bits.

ps: You understand that their are different formats (codec) that take the cd and rips (takes it from the cd and places it on the hard drive) it to that format (Wav, MP3, ACC and WMA to name a few). The most popular being MP3. A number of formats allow you to adjust the compression rate. The lower the compression rate (bit rate), the more the format take out of the original material.

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6

I just ordered a black 60 gig @ $229.00. Great Price!

How are you finding these prices!?

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 17
gevorgsays,
Quote:

What sounds better: a good vrb mp3 on shuffle, or lossless on 30gig ipod?

I cannot tell the difference.

But: 320 bit MP3 cbr lame is the best and Flac (but others will die for their lossless codec) is considered king of the hill.

A Flac 30gig should sound better.

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 17
Depends on what you're listening with. A good number of individuals with even decent equipment won't be able to distinguish between a well-encoded VBR file and a lossless file (sorry, I know this statement is bound to light a fire).

I believe it's widely believed that the Shuffle sounds the best straight out of the headphone-out on equivalently-encoded files. If sound quality is the primary concern, it's probably the best bet.

Sep 19, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #15 of 17
oneeyedhobbit says,
Quote:

I assume these are the 5.0 (as opposed to the "new" 5.5, I guess)Gen? (I'm the guy who needs to figure out whether to buy a PCMCIA card or hunt down a 4G iPod and buy firewire cord.

oneeyedhobbit, this is an easy one. The 5.5 is just be getting into the stores and have barely gone on sale. Refurbish means "renovate and redecorate". So a person would have to buy the iPod, bring it home, bring it back, Apple returns it to the refurbish center, the refurbish center refurbishes the iPod and then it is put on sale. Do you think they have had time to do that with the 5.5?

I know your the person looking for the pcm card.

Buy a refurbished iPod and forget the pcm card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back