Best SOUNDING DAP!!
Feb 2, 2005 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Frndlefire

Head-Fier
Ok guys, lets get some DAPs thrown out here. I'm looking for your opinion of best sounding DAP currently on the market. Size/extra features are not a concern here...only things that can effect the sound (file type compatability, true line-out, etc.)

Feb 2, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 21
The Creative and iRiver players for sure. In my experience the Creative Zen Xtra, Zen Touch and Zen Micro are all winners.

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian007
The Creative and iRiver players for sure. In my experience the Creative Zen Xtra, Zen Touch and Zen Micro are all winners.

Diddo
orphsmile.gif

EDIT: oops forgot the rio karma. that a great sounding player and it has line out unlike some of the creative and irivers.

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 21
Agreed.

Feb 2, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 21
The iPod from its line-out.

Feb 2, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 21
unamped, i definitely agree with the creative and iriver. People also say iaudio players sound very good.
However, you can add an amp to anything with a line out, and this will sound much better. While an ipod sounds like crap normally, amped it will probably sound very good. I've always thought this defeats the purpose of having a portable player, though.

Feb 2, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 21
The archos players sound great and some of the older ones have digital outs.
cool.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
While an ipod sounds like crap normally, amped it will probably sound very good.

The iPod doesn't sound like "crap normally." It sounds just fine unless you're a basshead and are used to the boomy bass of many players. Though it may be a little thin on bass with low impedance headphones, the iPod, with the right pair of headphones, sounds excellent unamped. And, of course, with an amp, the iPod is hard to match because its signal is as flat and neutral as it gets. And an amp doesn't defeat the purpose of a portable player, at least for a head-fier. That's what portable amps are for.

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
The iPod doesn't sound like "crap normally."

sorry, please insert 'in my opinion' at the end of that sentence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
And an amp doesn't defeat the purpose of a portable player

it does for me. again, just my opinion.

i don't like using these 'imo' and 'imho' acronyms, but i suppose i will start to anyway.

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 21
Well, in my opinion I agress with Jmmmmmmmmm. It does sound like crap. I can't wait to I get a ortable amp, so I can use all the great sound I get at home with my amp. If that si not a world of difference then .............

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 21
probably the better question to ask is - "which DAP should i avoid because it sounds like crap?"

honestly, all the above suggestions do NOT sound like crap, so base your decision on other factors - portability, ease of use on the go and at home, battery life, extra ins/outs, EQ, whatever bells and whistles would push you over the edge - or lack thereof. that way you feel like you custom tailored your decision on what you want, and it doesn't hurt that the tunes sound good too.

example - in my personal choices, i want to keep the whole portable experience as painless as possible when i'm on the comp, but on the go i dont mind a bit of bulk. thus, a DAP with a portable amp is the way i travel, and at home i use itunes to load it up and go.

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 21
Agree with previous posters. If you like deep resounding bass, iRiver is the way to go. If you like neutral sound, try out the ipod.

When I was researching this issue for myself I've quickly learned that you simply cannot rely on other people's ears and opinions on the subject of sound "quality". Everybody has different perceptions and preferences, you would do yourself a big favour if you audition the players you've shortlisted, this will avoid a possible disappointment.

Good luck with your purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back