Best sounding DAP if you just want to use the headphone out?
Dec 23, 2005 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Michael Crespo

100+ Head-Fier
I want to replace my PCDP that I use on the subway with a pair of Shure E4c. I don't want to use the line out of a DAP- just the headphone output. Which DAP sounds best when you are driving a pair of IEM's straight off the headphone out?

Michael

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 11
Oasis.. nice. I was just listening to their debut on the way home today.
tongue.gif
The Sony NW-HD5 has a nice sound straight out of the headphone.

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 11
I would say with something like that, the recently discontinued iRiver H3xx would have a very slight edge over the X5 and 5G iPod, and a bigger edge over the NW-HD5. Haven't tried Rockbox with it so have no idea whether they are going to fix the slow navigation among other tics.

I haven't lined the 5G iPod along with the rest, but I have shot out the three others in a matched test.
shootout.jpg

Dec 23, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 11
How about the Kenwood HD20GA7? It is expensive, but the digital amp is suppose to sound great. It is $450 shipped from Audiocubes.com.

kenwoodhd20ga7.jpg

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I would say with something like that, the recently discontinued iRiver H3xx would have a very slight edge over the X5 and 5G iPod, and a bigger edge over the NW-HD5. Haven't tried Rockbox with it so have no idea whether they are going to fix the slow navigation among other tics.

I haven't lined the 5G iPod along with the rest, but I have shot out the three others in a matched test.
shootout.jpg

Is that an iAudio M3 cradle and remote with that X5?

Dec 24, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 11
i know the rio karma is not sold in stores anymore, but it's the best sounding dap (through the headphone out) i've used.

Dec 24, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 11
I like my X5 with the E4's, but I find that the BBE effects and added features are necessary to enjoy the sound completely.

Dec 25, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Rio Karma. has the best (most versatile) EQ system to date, helpful for IEMs.

You can still find them NIB if you know where to look.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back