Best sounding CD to MP3 ripper/encoder?
Jan 17, 2006 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jonspanki

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am currently preparing to re-rip some CDs of mine that were done in 128kb years ago and was wondering which (free) MP3 ripping utility you could recommend. I am after an encoder that offers the best sound quality (relative to the other encoders out there at the moment).

Preferable features would be for it to be GUI based, as well as if to have the ability to download file info to name the mp3s according to the album/track/artist/etc. These would be nice extras, but excellent sound quality is paramount.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 17, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 6
You should take look at the Uberstandard page for instructions on how to perform a "perfect" rip. They recommend using "Exact Audio Copy" to rip and encode to mp3. EAC uses the LAME codec, definately the best for mp3`s. BTW, LAME is just a standalone .exe file that is integrated into many other ripping/player programs. It can also be executed directly from the commandline if you want to.

I see that Uberstandard uses the "--alt-preset" command swithes.
You can also take a look at Hydrogenaudio`s recommended settings here.
These are more updated and use the new "-V X --vbr-new" switches.

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Try this site for answers

http://mp3.radified.com/

I have been using iTunes AAC @ 256kbps. I have ran my own "tests" on a new G4 powerbook/ipod/Grado SR125's and listened to many different encoding configurations.

The iTunes AAC @ 256 kpbs was the best sound/ease of use, ease of use was most important because I did not have 2 months to wade through all the opinions and articles on encoding. I also found myself in the same situation as you, needing to re-encode my entire music collection at a better bitrate because of my new excellent headphones.

Any how I am pleased with the above recipe.

Good Day,

Cletus

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back