Best sounding albums on headphones
Jun 5, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #77 of 136
Above and Beyond-Tri-State

beautiful is the simplest way i can describe what im hearing right now

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #78 of 136
i'm trying to listen to stuff that does NOT have close-mic'd vocals and over-driven guitars/drums/etc .. that stuff works well for car radio/FM/pop music to get peoples attention but sucks to listen to on headphones as you all probably have noticed ....
i'm all for bands recording with as few mics/signal processing as possible ... it's a rare thing anymore to find that unless it's chamber music or old school jazz music, seems like ... The band ' Low ' seems to be an exception ... they sound really good on headphones as does the band 'Bedhead' and others in that genre / ilk .... check them out ... very mellow ...

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #80 of 136
I never heard this album in my current gear. it's a long time since i lost this cd and today i got a copy from my brother.
WOW WOW WOW! I am talking about DIRE STRAITS-BROTHERS IN ARMS

this is the best sounding album i heard so far. every tone is just perfect.

my setup is: Headroom ultra micro stack and AH-D5000. this is what i call high-end music!

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #81 of 136
I am listening right now to the Mark Lanegan album "Field Songs" which was released in about '99 or so ... It's a VERY VERY nice sounding album on my headphones .... guitars sound real nice and his vocals are really well recorded and mic'd ... his other albums are very smooth sounding as well ...

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #85 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never heard this album in my current gear. it's a long time since i lost this cd and today i got a copy from my brother.
WOW WOW WOW! I am talking about DIRE STRAITS-BROTHERS IN ARMS

this is the best sounding album i heard so far. every tone is just perfect.

my setup is: Headroom ultra micro stack and AH-D5000. this is what i call high-end music!

That's because it's digitally recorded, mixed, and mastered (DDD)--rare in its day (1985). But Knopfler has always been as concerned about the audio quality of his and Straits' recordings as he is masterful at composing and playing.

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #86 of 136
just thought i'd throw in Draft 7.30 by Autechre and Bounce Make Model by Jimmy Edgar.
...oh also Farenheit fair enough by Telefon tel aviv and Martes by Murcof
gs1000.gif

Bryston
Lehman
Grado

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #87 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's because it's digitally recorded, mixed, and mastered (DDD)--rare in its day (1985). But Knopfler has always been as concerned about the audio quality of his and Straits' recordings as he is masterful at composing and playing.

interesting...yeah,the dire's sound is awsome. they knew what they were doing, soundwise and music!

by the way..i am not a jazz blues listener at all...but i am listening right now to steely dan-aja album and it'a also sound AMAZING in my rig with the RS-1. do all jazz/fusion albums sound that good? i maybe start to listen to some jazz than.
I always knew the sound is great in this album,but this is the first time i listen with my updated home rig..have no words. also, great thanks to the grados for that!

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #88 of 136
+1 for future sound of london dead cities. also their cascade single and lifeforms single albums sound particularly good...
also anybody mention the heads? no talking just head. sounds ok i think

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #89 of 136
and no it's not about giving head... it's a metaphor!

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #90 of 136

Users who are viewing this thread

Back