Best sounding 24bit/96khz FLAC player?
Apr 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Zoldar

Head-Fier
hi all,

I'm looking a portable player that plays my growing collection of FLAC music from HD tracks and some ripped DVD-Audio's.
- support for FLAC files in resolutions ranging from red book to 24 bit/96 khz.
- NATIVE playback of high resolution files, so no downsampling.
- no external DAC or amp wil be used
- no high-end portable headphones, max 100 euro (I already spent enough on the home head-fi and high end set, thank you)
- no need for large storage, I change stuff quickly
- no ipod. never again.

thanx for bankrupting me head-fi :)

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 17
You may want to check out Samsung's Galaxy Player line. The 4.0 & 5.0 have Wolfson WM8994 DAC. There is a new 3.6" version but I don't know what DAC it has.

The caveat is that android interfaces with the DAC poorly and to get Voodoo Sound working you have to load a custom kernel (which will void your warranty). Loading the kernel is fairly simple. here is the link to the kernel (Link). A couple of things that tripped me up loading it is that the Downloading screen is Yellow (not green) for the US version and you only have to hold power + volume down to get to that screen. I also had to install Kies for the driver to install.

Using PowerAmp this is the best sounding player I have ever owned (Various Sony & Sharp MiniDisc, Sony HD1 & HD5, iPod 5.5G & 6G Rockbox, Sansa Clip+ Rockbox).

I am currently using the MDT with no amp and couldn't be happier with the sound (PowerAmp is missing a few features I would like, Ratings Sync and Smart Playlists).

Another plus is that it has a Micro SD card slot and works with the 64GB sdxc cards (formatted to FAT32).

Just my $0.02, hope you find what you are looking for 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 17
Save up money + iBasso DX100

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 17
There are a lot of players that can play 24/96 flac files but most of them donsample them. Also, Ryzir, android players like Poweramp and Neutron can play 24/96 and even 24/192 but the android kernels have limitation and output only 16/44.1, so they all downsample the music with ibasso dx100 being the only exception as it's custom developed and has optical/coaxil out. I guess for now the best option is dx100. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 17
thank you all for the good advice.

it seems there are a lot of players that wil play a high rez flac file, albeit downsampled. 

looking into the dx100 for native playback now.

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 17
recovering from heart problems after seeing price. not something you would want beside the pool then 
beyersmile.png

sandisk clip. does it play high rez flac?

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #9 of 17
If the team that built the DX100 made possible to have 24bit ; 48/ 88/ 96/ 192khz in android why can't that kernel be ported to other android roms? it pisses the hell out of me knowing that there is a very capable 24 bit 192khz DAC inside my Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 and that i can't use it due to bad software.... And android being to widely used it still amazes me how come no one has ported /created kernels that support this audio features.

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #10 of 17
56 years on this planet and 4 yrs active Navy and married to Pop-ette and I've not heard this one.

it pisses the hell out of me

:xf_eek:

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Fiio X3 24/192 DAP.
Price 199 usd
Release date: March 2013 but is well worth it.

FiiO has a great track record so far with their gear, but I think it is a little bit too soon to call something not yet released "the best sounding"......
wink_face.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 17
Does Samsung Galaxy with Wolfson chip really sound great with flac file?
Because I found the Samsung Galaxy S2 does not really sound great with flac file.

You may want to check out Samsung's Galaxy Player line. The 4.0 & 5.0 have Wolfson WM8994 DAC. There is a new 3.6" version but I don't know what DAC it has.

The caveat is that android interfaces with the DAC poorly and to get Voodoo Sound working you have to load a custom kernel (which will void your warranty). Loading the kernel is fairly simple. here is the link to the kernel (Link). A couple of things that tripped me up loading it is that the Downloading screen is Yellow (not green) for the US version and you only have to hold power + volume down to get to that screen. I also had to install Kies for the driver to install.

Using PowerAmp this is the best sounding player I have ever owned (Various Sony & Sharp MiniDisc, Sony HD1 & HD5, iPod 5.5G & 6G Rockbox, Sansa Clip+ Rockbox).

I am currently using the MDT with no amp and couldn't be happier with the sound (PowerAmp is missing a few features I would like, Ratings Sync and Smart Playlists).

Another plus is that it has a Micro SD card slot and works with the 64GB sdxc cards (formatted to FAT32).

Just my $0.02, hope you find what you are looking for :)

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #14 of 17
There are a lot of players that can play 24/96 flac files but most of them donsample them. Also, Ryzir, android players like Poweramp and Neutron can play 24/96 and even 24/192 but the android kernels have limitation and output only 16/44.1, so they all downsample the music with ibasso dx100 being the only exception as it's custom developed and has optical/coaxil out. I guess for now the best option is dx100. 

Not sure how is dx100 (downspl or not, even I heard it). In case of C4 colorfly, 24/96/176/192....show on scr but it stuck when I put sd card which content 24/96 flac, wav.
So, seems no clue to say.

If the team that built the DX100 made possible to have 24bit ; 48/ 88/ 96/ 192khz in android why can't that kernel be ported to other android roms? it pisses the hell out of me knowing that there is a very capable 24 bit 192khz DAC inside my Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 and that i can't use it due to bad software.... And android being to widely used it still amazes me how come no one has ported /created kernels that support this audio features.

Galaxy player will not pair to s3 sq or Note2 (why s3 has better sq than note2 while dac are same. Don't know)

Does Samsung Galaxy with Wolfson chip really sound great with flac file?
Because I found the Samsung Galaxy S2 does not really sound great with flac file.

Dac inside s2 is different from s3, s1. S2 use yamahachip

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 17
Hello all,
    The answer to this question would have to be the Astell and Kern produced by the iRiver company.

http://www.iriver.com/product/view.asp?pCode=001&pNo=91

This player will handle 24bit 192KHz files.   The added bonus of this incredible audiophile oriented player is that it will also take an input, sadly not for recording though.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your FLAC files will also be a factor.  EG, if you have selected to FLAC an album etc and not set the sample rate high enough then a player such as the Astell and Kern would be wasted on an inferior sampling. 

Any player under the sun is only as good as the source files it has been handed.  Ensuring that the file is of maximum recording quality however will ensure you have an amazing audio experience but be warned.  If you are used to listening to MP3's at low sampling and high compression rates you will find the Astell and Kern allows you to hear clarity in HD recordings that you may not have heard before.  Do not mistake these extra's as an issue, it's literally all the information your ears havn't heard yet due to the lwo quality compression and inferior recordings.

Enjoy.

PS. There are still AK100 models out there will be available at very reasonable prices. The AK100 will allow up to 96GB of storage(32Gb internal, plus there's 2 Micro SD slots which can each take 32GB each).   The new AK120 model, is practically identical to the AK120 model but will allow up to 192GB of storage(64Gb internal and can take up to 2 64GB micro SD cards).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back