Best soundcard with unamped A900's
Aug 14, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #16 of 63
http://www.headphone.com/pdfs/BitHeadManualWEB.pdf

That's the bithead manual. It seems to have analog line input on the back. So plug a mini-mini cable to it from your Audigy2 card and you get the sounds from Audigy2, amped. It does however, mention that plugging a cable there disables the sound from the USB sound card, which means that you must unplug the cable every time you wish to play music on the USB sound card.

You could return the bithead and take airhead instead. It looks like the same as bithead without the USB sound card and is also cheaper (they have similar package deal with HD555 like the bithead+HD555 deal).

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #17 of 63
I thought the airhead was only for portable players, meaning it could only be run on batterys?

Using the mini to mini cable which hole would I plug it into on the back of my soundcard? The same hole where the headphones would usually be put?

And again, for this it wont be running on batterys, will it?

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisteve
I thought the airhead was only for portable players, meaning it could only be run on batterys?

Using the mini to mini cable which hole would I plug it into on the back of my soundcard? The same hole where the headphones would usually be put?

And again, for this it wont be running on batterys, will it?

I looked at the headroom site and noticed that Airhead has a DC jack at the back so you can use any DC powersupply ranging from 5V to 12V with it so it doesn't drain batteries.

Yes, plug the mini-mini to the same hole.

Bithead seems to use batteries when there's something in the analog input. I think the airhead suits you better because of the DC jack.

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 63
What is a DC Jack? The only holes I see is for the mini usb, mini to mini, and 2 headphone jacks... what is this DC jack / where does it connect to?

Are you sure the airhead can run without batterys?

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #20 of 63
DC jack allows you to connect an external power supply.

"To the left rear of the AirHead is its power plug; it’ll take anything from 5 to 12 VDC center pin positive, both regulated and unregulated supplies are optionally available. Plugging in the AirHead disconnects the internal batteries."

Unfortunately the bithead doesn't have one because it expects to see power from the USB or batteries. They could've done a better job and allow power from USB while using line input.

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 63
I see, so I should probably return both and get a airhead. How is the airhead compared to bithead quality wise? And for the power, could I just use a power cord coming off of my powersupply from my computer?

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #23 of 63
Quote:

I see, so I should probably return both and get a airhead. How is the airhead compared to bithead quality wise? And for the power, could I just use a power cord coming off of my powersupply from my computer?

Quality of the amp is the same (according to headroom, the amp section is identical). You could use power from your computer, but generally computer power isn't recommended because the power isn't usually very clean and can have a negative effect on the sound quality. But then again, I don't know how clean power that power supply for airhead delivers (although it probably does a better job than an average computer PSU).

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #24 of 63
Where can I find another source of power other than my computer for the airhead then, are there other things to plug into an outlet then straight into the airhead or something like that?

EDIT- forget that.. missed your post

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #25 of 63
The only problem im seeing now is, for what reason are they charging more for the bithead? It doesnt seem to have any advatange at all? Seems like the airhead is even better than the bithead..

Edit- that and why on headphones site it says "Breath life into your portable rig with this cool little amp." for the airhead
and
"Your computer never sounded so good! " for the bit head

makes me wonder if the airhead will work at all with a computer

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #26 of 63
Also, airhead+HD555+power supply will be ~$20 cheaper than bithead+HD555, which means you could spend that for a Chaintech AV-710 if you are unhappy with the Audigy2's music reproduction
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #27 of 63
Well, the bithead has a USB interface and a DAC which costs money.

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #28 of 63
Oh yea I forgot the airhead didnt have a DAC ;o

How about this crap:

"Breath life into your portable rig with this cool little amp." for the airhead
and

You sure this thing is compatible with a computer
blink.gif

So the chaintech card is about $120, I payed $100 for my SB audigy2, and if I get the airhead / hd555s will it be better than the audigy2?

(thanks for helping me so much
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #29 of 63
Quote:

Oh yea I forgot the airhead didnt have a DAC ;o

How about this crap:

"Breath life into your portable rig with this cool little amp." for the airhead
and

You sure this thing is compatible with a computer
blink.gif

Yes, it is
smily_headphones1.gif
Your computer sound card outputs normal analog signal as all portables do and the airhead will just provide amplification.

Those slogans are just for marketing, they target the airhead for portable use, but nothing prevents it from being used with any other source. For example I have a CMoy amp, which is a diy amp originally intended for portable use. However, I don't even have a portable and I built it just because it was simple, cheap and effective for my usage (the unamped output of chaintech).

Bithead is targeted for computer use because of the USB sound card.

Quote:

So the chaintech card is about $120, I payed $100 for my SB audigy2, and if I get the airhead / hd555s will it be better than the audigy2?

Actually the Chaintech is very inexpensive at about $25! (although it's analog output quality has been said to be little less / equal / little better than the more expensive M-Audio Revo cards)

You can keep your Audigy2 for gaming (it's undoubtetly the best at that area) and even music if it doesn't sound bad to you or something. Getting the Chaintech for music is something people might propose you.

Using two sound cards could be a little problematic because you would need to switch cables between gaming and music unless you get ahold of a switchbox. To switchbox you would connect the audigy2 and the chaintech and one cable from the box would go to your amp. Then you could switch between the sound sources easily.

Quote:

(thanks for helping me so much
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Glad to be of help!
580smile.gif

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #30 of 63
To noobs like me thats bad marketing by headroom!

I wish I could have both the chaintech card and the audigy2 but I dont have a switch box, so I guess I will just keep the audigy2.

Well now I am completely satisified / happy. Finally!!

Monday im returning my HD 555's and bithead amp for HD 555's, airhead amp, and power cable. (I have to return the HD 555's because they gave them to me with 1 speaker sounding low quality.)

Thanks for all the help I REALLY appreciate it, if you ever need a liver or something im your man
evil_smiley.gif

Ill let you know once they send me the new stuff how it all works out, thanks again!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back