Best soundcard with unamped A900's
Aug 18, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #61 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Imyourzero, I have a few comments, but you should be asking Headroom these questions I think.

See below...

Quote:

You're calling the bithead cheap? At $200 I don't call it cheap.

Sorry, I probably had a bad choice of words there. I don't think it's cheap by any means, but compared to the hi-fi amps available that cost several hundred or even several thousands of dollars that some people on this site use, then yes the Bithead is comparatively inexpensive. I was also taking into account that it would be a bit less expensive if it didn't have the built-in sound card.

Quote:

I've never heard it, but I wish i'd gotten the total bithead when I first got into headphones instead of messing around with all sorts of sources and amps. The question is really will it power the headphones you want to drive, which headroom can probably answer.

The only problem I have with asking Headroom is that there's always the worry that you will be told what you want to hear in order to sell a product. I have no idea whether the Headroom crew is guilty of this or not, and I'd like to imagine that they aren't, but it frequently happens in business. Please forgive me if I'm a bit hesitant to go to them with my questions. There are some people in this world with great integrity that will tell you the honest truth even if it means you might pass on their product, but I have no idea whether or not the staff at Headroom displays that same level of professionalism and candor.

Quote:

As I understand it, battery power is very clean and generally superior to regulated AC power. Short peak loads required are easily supplied by batteries, and it doesn't need regulation (or at least doesn't need much).

I can see where battery power would be cleaner. It's just that many of the amps that are NOT in the starter/beginner category do not use batteries--they use AC adapters or wall warts. Since it's pretty common to see the higher-end amps use AC power, I suppose I made an assumption that AC power was needed for the higher quality sound. I suppose the reality of the matter is that batteries wouldn't be as practical on the "made for home" headphone amps, perhaps due to issues with battery life and the inconvenience of having to change them (it's much less of an issue/hassle with a portable amp). Or perhaps the reason for the widespread use of wall warts/power cords on the more expensive amps is because it's a much easier way to supply the needed voltage...for example it's easier to get 24v from an Elpac power supply than to cram 24v worth of batteries into an amp housing. I don't know, I'm just trying to take stabs at the truth...
confused.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #62 of 63
Batteries are a very power supply, they're just not practical for home amps.

With headroom you can ask if they'll drive the 580s well, if they give you incorrect information you have 30 days to return them anyway.

I stepped up from a pimeta to a PPA with DAC, the improvement in quality by no means justified the price - if you listen very carefully you might hear the improvement. I think even an entry level amp from those guys should be ok. I'd like to get on myself, but I have to stop spending money on this hobby!

Aug 19, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #63 of 63
Quote:

The only problem I have with asking Headroom is that there's always the worry that you will be told what you want to hear in order to sell a product. I have no idea whether the Headroom crew is guilty of this or not, and I'd like to imagine that they aren't, but it frequently happens in business. Please forgive me if I'm a bit hesitant to go to them with my questions. There are some people in this world with great integrity that will tell you the honest truth even if it means you might pass on their product, but I have no idea whether or not the staff at Headroom displays that same level of professionalism and candor.

Well, I called in monday about the defective sennheisers that I received. The lady on the phone(i didnt get her name) told me that they would send them out that same day, but I didnt get them today! So I called up headroom and spoke with Mario and he told me they would ship it out today. I was like
confused.gif
eek.gif
. I was supposed to get them today!! Well I dont know if that ties in with anything you said there about them telling you what you want to hear and things, but I thought id share that with you anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back