Best soundcard for Linux?
Mar 2, 2005 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
I've started using linux more and more these days (and am considering making my own LiveCD based on Arch), and while I know it's certainly not preferable for anything music-wise, I'd like to find a good soundcard that will work with the OS (especially considering my 0404 was giving me problems and I had to return it). I was considering either my old standby, an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or an Echo MiaMidi, or possibly one of the new Audiophile 192s if I can get GuitarCenter to go low enough on the price. Basically, I want to spend as close to (or below) $100 as possible. I'd also prefer having good windows drivers as well (as opposed to the craptacular E-mu drivers I had to deal with recently). Thanks guys.

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 7
*Bump* - No suggestions if the 0404 is out of the picture?
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm just going with an AV710 for my build, but it sounds like you want something more expensive, I don't really have any idea there, sorry
frown.gif
. check alsa-project.org and the alsa wiki, maybe?

Mar 3, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 7
unfortunately, the emu cards are out of the picture until emu writes drivers for linux. the next best cards are either going to be external cards (such as the m-audio firewire or the audiophile) or RME internal ones like the hammerfall (sp?). the former won't ever compete with the emu in sound quality (although it'd be better than the av710), but the high high end RME's will be the ultimate solution if you're willing to dump the money.

anyway, i'm planning on completely moving myself to linux in a few weeks (after i can get my spare computer) and do the following: av710 digital out for my linux box. digital run to spare pc. spare pc is a dedicated dac with an 0404 running winblows. it's the best solution i can think of if you can get a hold of a spare pc.

Mar 3, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 7
I just run Debain linux in VMware in Windows XP when I do linux work at home, that way I can still use windows for music and what not.

Mar 4, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 7
Well, turns out I got the best of both worlds... Bought an M-Audio Audiophile 192 for $100 at Guitar Center. Haven't tried it out with Linux yet, but I hope it works. What I do know is that it sounds very, VERY good to my ears - I may even prefer it to the 0404... I'll need to listen to it a bit more to find out.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 7
Yeah, I think I'm definitely starting to appreciate the AP192 more than the E-mu. I unfortunately don't have the E-mu to compare, but the sound to me seems smoother & more detailed, with a bigger soundstage and better extention. The E-mu was definitely punchier, but the mids also seemed recessed. The AP192 sounds more natural to my ears.

I tend to have difficulty in hearing significant differences in source components so take all this with a grain of salt. It could very well be placebo. Still, I'm quite happy with it.

Edit: Punctuation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back