best soundcard for laptop (w/ digitalout)
Aug 17, 2004 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PYROTAK

100+ Head-Fier
so im going to college and im not going to build a desktop until dually core CPUs with pci express boards come out.

so im stuck with my dell inspiron 8600 until next year.

so anyhow. this thing as a digital SPDIF out. don't know how good it is its some sigmatel crap.

anyhow, i need either a USB 2.0 or firewire soundcard for under 200 that has a good analog out that i can connect to my mint and of course a nice digital out that i can connect to my onkyo home theater reciever.

unfortunately when i run the digital to my ht reciever, it doesn't turn it into analog in the tape out.....i don't know how to get analog out of my reciever other than using the Headphone OUT.

anyone have any suggestions on both accounts?

Aug 17, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 9
so what is better. firewire or usb? firewire doesn't use CPU time right?

and can the audiophile process 5.1 sound? like DD and DTS?

also the m-audiophile looks a little pricey...how does it compare to the emu1212m since it is like the same price.

Aug 17, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 9
I haven't tried the firewire card, but it's supposed to have more bandwidth than the USB so you can probably have more than one input/output turned on and still use 24/96, but I'm really not sure. Yes, it can be used as a DD/DTS pass through. The 1212m is much better IMHO but it's an internal card, you asked for something that would work with a laptop.

Aug 17, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 9
well if its not all that good then i don't feel comfortable dishing out 190 bucks for it lol.

anything with a better price and performance ratio?

Aug 17, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 9
I recently obtained an M-Audio Audiophile USB and the analog out is pretty good. Also has S/PDIF in and out. But there may be some bandwidth choking since you can't have all 4 input/outputs on at the same time and still have high sampling or whatever..

And it doesn't have to cost $190. I got mine used, and the benefit was that it was already modded to have a Stancor power supply instead of the stock unit. It's supposed to make stuff sound better. There's one for sale right now for $110, and it's modded as well:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81359

I picked mine up used for about the same price, and haven't regretted it one bit...

Aug 17, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 9
hey did you swap out the op amps?

Aug 18, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 9
I got the Audiophile USB new for $150, and it doesn't sound bad, the E-MU is just a tremendous value for the money and its sound quality competes with some very high-end CDP's up in the range of $1000. But you need to be able to use it with a laptop and the audiophile is as about as good as it gets for laptops. I still use mine everyday at work and find it very enjoyable even though at the end of the day I can't wait to get home to the E-MU.

Aug 18, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 9
lol well i ordered it.

does swapping out the opamp really make that big of a difference?

and is it in a socket or am i going to have to do some crazy surface soldering dealy?

really not a problem unless its in a super small package. IE smaller than the opamp in my mint.

the just need a good soundcard to tide me over until its time to get a new desktop (next year when the dually core cpus with pci express come out) weee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back