Best soundcard for gaming/music
Nov 6, 2010 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RequiieM

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently have the Auzentech Prelude and I am wondering if there is anything worth upgrading to for gaming and music (more importantly gaming for positional audio)

Thanks.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 9
For music you could look at the Xonar STX, or for positional audio, Auzentech Forte.

I don't think you are going to notice any difference between the Prelude and Forte... 
And if you swap over to the STX or ST you're positional audio will suffer slightly.

Not much really to upgrade to.  Pocket your money and get a new set of headphones or a new game maybe?

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 9
The Xonar ST is the best for both.

Xonar St + DT990 600 Ohms = Gaming ownage.

Its exactly what im buying this black friday.

Looks like its time for us to pwn some noobs!

BTW:

Make sure you buy the ST version. The STX is worse, for the same price.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 9
Can anyone back this up regarding the ST?

Funny you said the DT990 600ohm, did you notice I was looking at buying those?

I heard they have recessed mids though, im not sure how that has effect on FPS games.

Also the ST has an inbuilt amp, dno how double amping goes?

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:

I heard they have recessed mids though, im not sure how that has effect on FPS games.

ST have better clock circuit thus reducing jitter, but its available on PCI only, while the STX is PCIe only. It depends on your need.

The internal amp inside ST/STX isn't that good, you could use RCA out and plugged into your external amp.

To be honest, Prelude already a good card. I would rather spend my money on external DAC and plugged to Prelude. Much better option IMO.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:

No i didnt notice actually..
Ive been searching for a gaming headset as well, for about 2 weeks now. and the DT900-600 Ohms are what i decided on. Better than AKG 701's,702's, DT 880's, DT770's ect. for overall experience.

:D looks like we both found the same headphone for the same purpose. There is no way we can go wrong ;D.

And as for the other guy recommending an external amp ^ this is possible, but the Xonar ST gives much better audio quality IMHO. And Dolby is MUCH better for modern day games. No games use EAX 5.0 anymore, and almost all use Dolby technologies. Bad Company 2, for example. (now $20 on steam!!!!).

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Whats the point of an external dac? isnt the soundcard a dac?

Yer I really wanna get the DT990's, just gotta understand what recessed mids means for games and decide on an amp, its looking like ill get a woo audio 3 though.

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Whats the point of an external dac? isnt the soundcard a dac?

Yer I really wanna get the DT990's, just gotta understand what recessed mids means for games and decide on an amp, its looking like ill get a woo audio 3 though.

a DAC is just another word for an external dedicated sound card.
There (supposed) to be better because since they are external, so "noise" (EMI) from computer's components dont effect them as much.

While this is true, the Xonar ST is shielded from EMI. And has technologies that no DAC has. Like Doby digital, headphone.. ect. ect. So for $200 your best choice is still the Xonar ST. Especially for gaming, due to dolby headphone.

As for an external AMP, many Head-fi'ers recommend a tube amp for the 990's. The Woo audio 3 looks like a great tube amp.

As for the Mids, it wont effect gaming. And if you dont like the Highs that so many talk about on the 990's, a tube amp will smooth those out :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back