best soundcard for amped headphones
Apr 19, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
fewtch, I used to be a 98SE guy, but 2K swept me off my feet and I have loved it ever since (no upgrading to XP for me!), granted I am not a gamer...

2K would have the same problem running a few .vxd-based proggies that I'd find very hard to replace. Same issue with a clean install as well, massively time consuming (this is a lesser consideration though).

Does Win2k let you run on more than one PC at a time? This has been one of my major beefs with XP, that changing the motherboard/CPU I might have to go buy another copy (grrrr). How about Windows Update with Win2k, does it require registering with M$ and all that nonsense?

Edit -- apologies for going off topic.

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #17 of 72
boy you guys dont know what your missing with XP, course this is coming from a guy with some of the latest hardware, so everything is relative. I tried going back to win2k and I just couldnt do it. I'm not all about the fruity crap XP comes with pre-configured but I have created my own automated installation cd that sets up everything just the way i like it. so reformats (about every 3 months) are a breeze
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #18 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertron
boy you guys dont know what your missing with XP, course this is coming from a guy with some of the latest hardware, so everything is relative. I tried going back to win2k and I just couldnt do it. I'm not all about the fruity crap XP comes with pre-configured but I have created my own automated installation cd that sets up everything just the way i like it. so reformats (about every 3 months) are a breeze
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't reformatted my Win98SE-based system since Sept. 6, 2001 (ghosted from an older hard drive) -- and it's rock stable at this point. The idea of switching to a newer, less mature OS does not float my boat, to say the least. Having been into computers since 1984, the whole "upgrade" thing just gets tiresome eventually... I want to use programs, not mess with the OS. But I guess it'll probably be necessary within the next year or two because of driver/hardware issues.

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Does Win2k let you run on more than one PC at a time? This has been one of my major beefs with XP, that changing the motherboard/CPU I might have to go buy another copy (grrrr). How about Windows Update with Win2k, does it require registering with M$ and all that nonsense?

Yes to your first question, and no to your second. All that BS is one of the reason I don't bother with XP (bloatware aside).

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #20 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I haven't reformatted my Win98SE-based system since Sept. 6, 2001 (ghosted from an older hard drive) -- and it's rock stable at this point. The idea of switching to a newer, less mature OS does not float my boat, to say the least.

you have reloaded the ghost image though correct? basically windows is a POS and likes to decompose over time, so for me, every 3 months or so is about right, i try to go long but with the amount of crap i install and the things i do, it just becomes a need. which the unattended install has been super helpful with.

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Considering that lan says the digitial output of the EMU is better than the RME (and that it is 192kHz capable), it also appears to be the best card for use with an external DAC.

my RME is 192kHz optical out capable.
wink.gif
I wonder if we can have a soundcard comparison at a meet... I'll have the RME hammerfall DSP 9632 and also the soundblaster audigy 2 ZS at the SoCal one. will anyone have a EMU 1212m there?

how much is the EMU 1212m?

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #22 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
my RME is 192kHz optical out capable.
wink.gif
I wonder if we can have a soundcard comparison at a meet... I'll have the RME hammerfall DSP 9632 and also the soundblaster audigy 2 ZS at the SoCal one. will anyone have a EMU 1212m there?

how much is the EMU 1212m?

The 1212m is only $199 at most places, I suppose it could be had for less with some haggling. There will be an EMU at the meet if I decide it sounds better than the RME, when bypass modded.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

you have reloaded the ghost image though correct?

No, it's the same install since late 2001. I've just kept it clean and well tweaked, and it's working well (if anything better than originally because of all the updates & bug fixes since then).
Quote:

basically windows is a POS and likes to decompose over time,

No, basically the average Windows user, while not a POS, likes to allow Windows to decompose over time.
tongue.gif

Quote:

i try to go long but with the amount of crap i install and the things i do...

Exactly...

Apr 19, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #25 of 72
All those emu cards share the same PCI card so their digital I/O and performance on that card should be the same. The 1212M does analog conversion with a PCI daughtercard. The 1820 and 1820m do it via an external box which have a lot more I/O options.

1212m and 1820m have the same convertors. The 1820 has worst convertors.

Mm, forgot one thing. 1820m also has a sync card.

Apr 19, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 72
Got this from the Extremetech review of the 1812M and the 1820M:

E-MU 1212M 12 channels (analog and digital) in and out
Bundled with Steinberg's Cubasis VST and WaveLab Lite $199

E-MU 1820 18 channels (analog and digital) in and 12 channels (analog and digital) out
Bundled with Steinberg's Cubase VST and WaveLab Lite
Uses slightly lower quality DACs/ADCs, but its dynamic range is still rated at 112dB $399

E-MU 1820M 18 channels (analog and digital) in and 12 channels (analog and digital) out
Has SMPTE/MTC/word-clock sync connectors
Comes with Steinberg's Cubase VST and WaveLab Lite $499

1212M

Analog Line Outputs (balanced, low-noise, 2-pole low-pass differential filter)
Level (software selectable): Professional (+4dBu nominal, 20dBu maximum; balanced), Consumer (-10dBV nominal, 6dBV maximum; unbalanced)
Two 1/4" Balanced Inputs
Two 1/4" Balanced Outputs
24-bit/192kHz ADAT In/Out (switchable to S/PDIF)
24-bit/96kHz S/PDIF In/Out (switchable to AES/EBU)
MIDI In/Out
FireWire Interface

1820M

Two TFPro Mic/Line/Hi-Z preamps (w/48V phantom power)
Six 1/4" Balanced Inputs
Eight 1/4" Balanced Outputs
Turntable input (w/ground lug and hardware RIAA preamp)
24-bit/192kHz ADAT In/Out (switchable to S/PDIF)
24-bit/96kHz coaxial S/PDIF In/Out (switchable to AES/EBU)
24-bit/96kHz optical S/PDIF Out (switchable to AES/EBU)
Two sets of MIDI In/Out
Four stereo 1/8" Speaker Outputs (configurable from stereo to 7.1)
Stereo Headphone Output
Firewire Interface
Sync Configuration: Word Clock In/Out, SMPTE In/Out, MTC Out

Apr 19, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #28 of 72
I am very tempted to pick one of these cars up (1212M), especially as it seems to play games alright, and is "alledged" to spank my current card, the EWX, and the fact its a reasonable price. (albeit, as usual, nearly 50% more in Britain).

I'll be interested to do a head to head between these two cards because in my own mind I still dont believe it will spank the EWX. And if it doesnt, then I'll hunt you hypsters down like dogs!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #29 of 72
Funny how people bash Windows so easily.

I have my main server running Win2K, and it has been running non-stop for about a 5 months now. It shut down once by the UPS software due to a power blackout.

I have very minimal stuff installed on the server, so that is mainly why it's stable.

My main graphics workstation is Win2K as well. So in short, all my critical computers have Win2K. My fun computer which I use to play games and listen to music has Win XP Pro. It is simply more resilient to abuse and installing lots and lots of crap. Not to mention that Win2K is not the most multimedia friendly OS.

But back to the topic:

It seems that the Emu 1212 could be a real winner due to it's $100 price advantage over the RME digi96/8 PAD. We'll see if it's all it's cracked up to be.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Apr 19, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Funny how people bash Windows so easily.

I have my main server running Win2K, and it has been running non-stop for about a 5 months now. It shut down once by the UPS software due to a power blackout.

I have very minimal stuff installed on the server, so that is mainly why it's stable.

My main graphics workstation is Win2K as well. So in short, all my critical computers have Win2K. My fun computer which I use to play games and listen to music has Win XP Pro. It is simply more resilient to abuse and installing lots and lots of crap. Not to mention that Win2K is not the most multimedia friendly OS.

But back to the topic:

It seems that the Emu 1212 could be a real winner due to it's $100 price advantage over the RME digi96/8 PAD. We'll see if it's all it's cracked up to be.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

I dont have that many complaints about windows, but I do have to say over time it does start to ack up for no reason. I mean they are doing the best they can witht he amount of code they have to work with, so i have to give them some credit there. I am constantly installing and checking out new software, I guess its just the nature of the beast. I also have a server that has been the same load of win2k on it since 2002, and its never been rebooted accept for patches or software upgrades that needed reboots. So i know how it goes either way, my home computer just gets alot of abuse so thats the main reason i "bash" windows, plus its just fun
tongue.gif
but I really have to say, if anyone has been watching whats been going on with service pack 2 for XP, they will know M$ is really starting to come around in some area's so thats another good thing.

I do have a question about the Audigy series of cards, i dont know the price but i think they are relatively cheaper than the EMU series, but how do they compare? I'm not a total audiophile just yet and it would be nice to buy a cheaper card to get me by for now if those are just as good for the not so picky people. any one care to comment on their audigy series card?

Quote:

No, it's the same install since late 2001. I've just kept it clean and well tweaked, and it's working well (if anything better than originally because of all the updates & bug fixes since then).

Congrats to you man, 98 was a beast i was happy to get away from, after a short time from install I would have to reboot atleast once every couple days. but again, its just the nature of the beast, being the way i do thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back