Best soundcard for $100 max?
Nov 8, 2010 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
I don't really feel like spending any more right now, I just need something better than my POS Creative Audigy 2 ZS.  I will not buy a Creative device as long as I live, so it has to be something other than that.

The only one I found is this one, is it any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 12
Xonar DX no doubt. Sounds as good as any $300 card or more. But it don't have any AMP but the one built in powers my HD555 very good but cannot powermy Denon D2000 cause of the low sensitivity. So ohms is not everything. I bought a Xonar DG for $33 on Amazon.com This has a headphone AMP

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 12
So the DG is cheaper and has a headphone amp, and the DX is more but doesn't?  Odd.

I don't really listen to my headphones on my PC anyway, usually just listen to my A5s.  There doesn't seem to be a "middle tier" or these cards, or is there?  They go from $80 right to $190 from what I see.

How is the software/EQ/effects?  I have mine all set up with Creative's terrible drivers, took me forever to get it sounding the way I want and I'm hoping this card will have the same choices.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 12

Ive got a xonar DX, and it drove my M50s to uncomfortable levels. i recomend the DS, though. the DX is the exact card as the DS, plus an extra chip to port it over to pci-x.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 12
I'll probably stick with a PCI card, what benefit would a soundcard have in a PCI Express x1 slot?  I don't think there's much room under my GPU for that, especially when I get a new one.

So, possible a DS so far.  Any comments on the software/EQ/effects and whatnot?  Without my tweaks I've done in the terrible Creative software my A5s sound a bit flat, I really hope these cards have something similar.  I'm reading they don't have EAX, that could be a big problem for me.

What is the difference between the D1 and DS?  I see a higher SnR but that's it.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Ok, I want to pick one tonight.  Can I get some feedback on the whole EAX issue and how the software EQ type stuff is?  I guess I'm still looking at the DS.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 12
I think I'm only using version 1 on here because their drivers are so crappy.  I basically put it on a preset EQ and tweak from there, as long as I can do that with the Asus cards I should be good.  Actually I use "Advanced EQ", is there something similar on the Asus?  Without the Advanced EQ the A5s sound way too flat to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back