Best sound without amp and leak of sound at 150$ ?
Mar 28, 2006 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

zsevgymko

Head-Fier
Hi to all, I am trying to find the best headphones for my home pc.
As you can see I have limited budget. Actually I've already decided
to bye a Chaintech AV-710 sound card, so about 120-130 $ remain for
headphones. It seems that I'll have to pass without an amp, so the headphones must behave well on their own. Also they should not leak a lot, as I usually listen to music late at night and don't want to disturb my wife. In the local store there is almost no choice of headphones,only some cheap Philips phones. The best I found was a rare AKG K28NC model which was quite expensive. As fas as I know it has the sound of AKG K26P + the noise cancelation, which I don't need.So whatever I buy, it will be from internet. My safe choice is the K26P, but there must be some better options around 100$. Perhaps the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, I've read it doesn't an amp. Or maybe HD25-SP is better? From what I've read Grado's headphones seemto be pretty good (SR60,SR80 or Alessandro MS1), but they are all open and I guess they leek pretty much. What, do you think, are my best options? If it is going to help, half of the music I listen to is jazz(accoustic,mainly piano-centric trios and quartets), the other half is cllasical music,rock,pop,etc. I know the quality of sound is a matter of personal taste, but I am interested what is your oppinion.

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 14
If you want to drive headphones directly, the AV-710 is not a good choice - get another card then (Hercules Fortissimo 4, or maybe a Live! 24-Bit or Audigy SE). As for the cans, you'd probably be best off with a HD280 or possibly K81 DJ.

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 14
My vote for only home use is ATH-A500. Closed and isolated, good clear sound, Punchy bass. Someone may tell that it's bloated. But it's when you compare it to $200 or more headphones while it haves much better quality bass then cheaper sony's and other low ends.

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 14
One of the things that I worried about when I ordered my Alessandro MS-1s; was what I understood to be a lot of sound leakage.

Do they leak?

yeah.

A lot?

No; not in my opinion.

I find; and so does my wife; that if I listen to rock at near-concert levels while sitting right next to her on a quiet evening while she is concentrating on a "chick flick" on TV, that my tunes CAN be annoying.

If I listen at simply a loud level; she notices, and I get ocassional glances.

If I listen at a comfortable listening level, then she hardly notices at all!!

She's watching TV right now about six feet away, and I'm listening to tunes at a fairly loud level here at the computer, and she dosen't even notice!! COOL!!!

Something that I have noticed about these open cans that I don't recall reading about; is how listening at a reasonable level allows one to interact with others.

First of all the sound dosen't seem to bother others. Additionally the open archetecture of the phones allows enough outside sounds to come thru so that the sounds "in the room" are more like as if I'm listening to speakers.

(this is good cuz we're raising four kids and I don't want to miss any emergencies!!
frown.gif
)

When someone talks to me; I can hear them just fine, and when I respond to them, my voice isn't exagerated as if I were listening on sealed cans. You can actually talk and listen more or less normally when listening on these things!

Anyway; the Alessandros work just great without an amp, and I have been amazed at how well they sound on a larger variety of music than expected!!
smily_headphones1.gif

.......my opinion only.....YMMV
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 14
Honestly, if I could choose any headphones in my price range these would probably be Alessandro MS1. From what I've read they seem more fun than HD 280. But still, my wife sleeps only 2 meters away from my PC and I don't want to take the risk of getting into trouble
biggrin.gif
So it will be HD 280, I hope they are really good. As for the sound card, I'll think again.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 14
I think the Audio Technica A500 sounds more musical and has better soundstage than the HD280. Just my subjective opinion. It doesn't isolate nearly as much, but if you're only worried about leakage, these are fine. They don't leak. The comfort is better too - no vice-grip to contend with. And they don't need an amp. If you can stretch, I'd get the A900 for $189.

The AKG K81 is also supposed to be good with classical - apparently preferable to the HD 25SP for this purpose..

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I think the Audio Technica A500 sounds more musical and has better soundstage than the HD280. Just my subjective opinion. It doesn't isolate nearly as much, but if you're only worried about leakage, these are fine. They don't leak. The comfort is better too - no vice-grip to contend with. And they don't need an amp. If you can stretch, I'd get the A900 for $189.

The AKG K81 is also supposed to be good with classical - apparently preferable to the HD 25SP for this purpose..

Agreed.

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 14
I am starting to shift towards the Audio Technica A500 model, since phrases like "clinical sound" or "analytical sound" about the HD280 are bothering me. The problem is I can't purchase it from AudioCubes, because they don't ship to my country and in amazon the A500 cost 50$ more. Any other site I should check out?

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
The AT Ax00 series is the ideal mate for the Chaintech w/o an amp, since they are easier to drive than almost any lower-cost, high-quality headphones. Just get the best one that you can afford, and be happy with it.

Hmm, I remember a comment about the AV-710 being "not even able to drive ATH-A900s" or something to that effect. That would make sense, the poor Wolfson DAC was never intended to drive low-impedance headphones and the integrated output opamps thus probably can't dish out a lot of current. And before using the normal (amplified) front output off the VT1616 instead, I'd rather grab a Live! 24-Bit or Audigy Value/SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back