Best sound quality IEM that can survive?!
Oct 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bittyme

New Head-Fier
 Hey guys, I know there's a lot of thread on IEM for exercising already, but it seems a lot of it tends to go the route of "I want something cheap to take to the gym." What about something of really good quality that I can workout in, run, sweat on etc.??

I broke my um3x and recently the left earpiece on my westone 4 died on me after taking it for run (really sweaty ears). I love westone iem but it seems like these doesn't last really long with rough treatment. I know people say when you're exercising you can't tell the difference in sound quality, but hey, I can :p. Any of you using quality ones to work out that doesn't die on you?

Willing to pay up to about $500 range. Thanks.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I have used Shure SE535 for almost a year now, but suddenly the cable broke or something similar during workout, so the sound in the right earpiece was interrupted by the movement of the cable. I sent them to my retailer and they replaced them with a new pair. From what i've read, the cable is supposed to be very durable. I'm kind of dissapointed the cable broke. Up until the cable broke i was very satisfied with them. For how long did you use the Westone 4 for before they broke?

Are there any more durable pieces than these?

However, I now have an unopened pack with totally new SE535, clear. So if anyone wants to buy, or trade for something else. PM me.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 11
I've been using Etymotic ER-4S IEMs for just about every mobile purpose for three years now. I've had the cables replaced once (the left worked loose from the boot, but this was honestly due to how I wear them--wrapped over my ear--than any intrinsic problem with the cable). They survive hot, cold, sweat, you name it. I couldn't directly compare these to any other IEM for this purpose, but I've previously owned two pairs of Shures (E2c and E4c), both of which broke in much shorter fashion, and neither of which sounded as good to me. Never used either Shure for exercise or the like, however.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I have used Shure SE535 for almost a year now, but suddenly the cable broke or something similar during workout, so the sound in the right earpiece was interrupted by the movement of the cable. I sent them to my retailer and they replaced them with a new pair. From what i've read, the cable is supposed to be very durable. I'm kind of dissapointed the cable broke. Up until the cable broke i was very satisfied with them. For how long did you use the Westone 4 for before they broke?

Are there any more durable pieces than these?

However, I now have an unopened pack with totally new SE535, clear. So if anyone wants to buy, or trade for something else. PM me.

I've had them for about 6 months now, and they're great. I'd love to wear these during workout, but if they only last for 6 months, shelling out $500 every 6 months is a bit rough.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 11
Not trying to point my finger at the OP, but I have been wondering this for ages..

Why do people wear expensive IEM's for the Gym/exercise? Shurely (geddit) the chances of snagging a cable, ruining the driver with sweat, or some other mishap are pretty high.

I would say get a couple of pairs of cheap as chips IEMs, Treat them as disposable.

If you casn listen t music and notice the sound from the headphones, are you trying hard enough??

Or am I missing something here.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 11
I will recommend to buy IEMs which stay in outer ear to last long and UE TF10Pro, Sony EX1000, JVC FX700, Denon AH-C400, Sennheiser IE80, GR07, Klipsch Image X10i, X5 are great buy under this budget. If must need IEMs with deep insertion then GR01, CK10, HF5, ER4P/S, DBA-02, Heir Audio 4Ai, UE900(highly recommended for sound quality, portability), RE272, PFE232 are recommended.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Not trying to point my finger at the OP, but I have been wondering this for ages..

Why do people wear expensive IEM's for the Gym/exercise? Shurely (geddit) the chances of snagging a cable, ruining the driver with sweat, or some other mishap are pretty high.

I would say get a couple of pairs of cheap as chips IEMs, Treat them as disposable.

If you casn listen t music and notice the sound from the headphones, are you trying hard enough??

What if I'm trying my best in the gym and I can still hear and appreciate the better sound quality from these IEM?
So you're saying when you exercise, if you do, you can't tell the difference between let's say W1 and W4? I certainly can, and I prefer that little inch of better quality even in the midst of working out.

With that said, I'm not rich enough to be blowing $500 every few months because these keep breaking, which is why I created this thread to see if there are any high end iem that can take the punishment. I might give this one more shot and if the next one still breaks, I'll probably go with some cheap ones I guess...

I will recommend to buy IEMs which stay in outer ear to last long and UE TF10Pro, Sony EX1000, JVC FX700, Denon AH-C400, Sennheiser IE80, GR07, Klipsch Image X10i, X5 are great buy under this budget. If must need IEMs with deep insertion then GR01, CK10, HF5, ER4P/S, DBA-02, Heir Audio 4Ai, UE900(highly recommended for sound quality, portability), RE272, PFE232 are recommended.

Thanks for recommendation, I prefer IEM with deep insertion, so i'll look into the reviews of those you listed. Since there are already two mentions of the er4s, I might go check them out in store tmr.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Well, speaking for myself, I rarely use my headphones besides exercising. Once and awhile, I take the bus to some errand. In these situations, I love having headphones which isolate all the outer noise from hearing. I like having a good pair of IEM, which I assume all of you do, every time I'm listening to music, wheter it be on the bus or while working out.
I use Klipsch 4S as substitute for IEM at the moment and I can't really complain much about those beisdes the lack of isolation in some envionments.
They are quite cheap but still good enough for rough treatment.

In which situations do most people use their IEM, regarding daily sitations?

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
So you're saying when you exercise, if you do, you can't tell the difference between let's say W1 and W4? I certainly can, and I prefer that little inch of better quality even in the midst of working out.

When I work out or go for a run, I don't even notice when my earphones fall out and I'm not even hearing music anymore...

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 11
I wear Porta Pros at the gym. Not isolating, but I generally don't really hear what's going on around me between the music and concentrating on working out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back