Best sound quality? (details inside)
Oct 7, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #16 of 24
But with WMA-lossless comes the added power needed to decode them.

Lol, I just can't win. It looks like my only hope is if the S9 has a warm, natural sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #17 of 24
if i were you, change your earphones first. with the current earphones that you have, you wont notice any difference anyways with whatever good sounding portable player you have.

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #19 of 24
I'm really looking for a good video player as well. Basically, I want to listen to super orgasmic high quality music (*disclaimer* may be a little exaggerated, since I don't have super orgasmic cans or a super orgasmic amp to make the super orgasmic music sound as super orgasmic as it possibly can, but you get the idea), and watch movies on a rich, high-res screen.

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #21 of 24
yep.. the fuze would be your ticket. its got the same chip as the clip and plays great straight up, the EQ is a bit dodgy though and best kept on off. on the supplied phones, its no worries, but once you upgrade the quality becomes apparent.

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #22 of 24
Comparing H320 to my Fuze, the bass on it underwhelmed me (neither as deep nor nearly as punchy), and the treble is a bit less crisp in my opinion. Unlike the H320 (and the Clix2? I haven't tried it) it has no bass/treble boost function, just an EQ which of course distorts if you push it beyond a few notches. The sound signature is pretty similar otherwise, so if you don't tend to push up bass you should be happy with it.

I do think the Fuze/Clip get a bit overrated on head-fi though, it sounds alright all around but I wouldn't really say it excels at anything.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also noticed the Clix 2 plays WAV but not FLAC. What's the file size difference between the two?

Last night I ripped a bunch of cds using EAC. The .wav rips (an accident, I meant to rip to FLAC) were about 650MB for a 60-65 minute CD. The ripping took about 6 minutes per cd on average. When I re-ripped the cd correctly to FLAC they were about 400MB. When I used Fubar2000 + LAME to convert FLAC to MP3 (took about 50 seconds) (v0, 245kbps variable), they were abotu 60MB.

So, for what I was doing, I was saving 92% of the hard drive space by going from .wav to .mp3, with a high quality mp3. To answer your question, it looks like .flac takes up about 40% less space than .wav.

I don't plan to play the FLAC files.... I will just leave them on my harddrive as my permanent compressed lossless files. In the future, if someone invents a compression algorithm that allows for higher quality sound that takes up only the space of 128 .mp3, I can then do another conversion of all the .flac files into the new format without having to re-rip all my cds.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really looking for a good video player as well. Basically, I want to listen to super orgasmic high quality music (*disclaimer* may be a little exaggerated, since I don't have super orgasmic cans or a super orgasmic amp to make the super orgasmic music sound as super orgasmic as it possibly can, but you get the idea), and watch movies on a rich, high-res screen.

I'm looking for something similar too. I seen a lot of recs for the samsung p2, clix 2, clip and sonys for SQ. The only other thing I would love to have is a nice quality screen to watch vids. I've got the D2 now (and have used cowon plyrs for as long as I can remember) and considering I like bass, I'll probably fall in love with one of the above. That S9 and 02 look nice. I see the spinn hasn't received great reviews. Still need to do my research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back