Best sound card - M-Audio vs Sound Blaster vs E-MU 1212M?
Mar 31, 2007 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

isamu

100+ Head-Fier
I took interest when someone on another forum mentioned M-Audio. I had never heard of them so as a result I did some googling around. It appears they also make fairly good sound cards as well.

I am in the market for a new PCI sound card and would like to ask you which sound card you consider better for music..E-MU 1212M series? M-Audio series? Or SoundBlaster series? I own a SoundBlaster Audigy 2Z notebook card and while the sound is good, I know there are better alternatives out there.

I am building a new PC strictly for music and want the best possible sound clarity for highs, mids and lows.

What do you guys recommend and thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 16
1- Emu1212m

2- M-Audio Audiophile 24/96

3- Sound Blaster (Kx Drivers)

in that order . . . and each a noticable improvement
(coincidentally, this was my actual upgrade path)

(more coincidentally, they fall in order by cost as well as sound quality)

edit - additional info: DAC - using my Entec Number Cruncher, there was an improvement over the M-Audio's analog-outs,
whereas using the E-mu the analog-outs are comparable with the DAC.

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 16
Just wondering, if you rank the above three card along with Juli@ and Onkyo SE-200PCI, how would the order be?

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, if you rank the above three card along with Juli@ and Onkyo SE-200PCI, how would the order be?

I have never heard those cards so cannot comment there. Perhaps someone who has can help in the ranking.

not to sidetrack the thread too far, but I am curious . . . how is the HD650 with the H5 amp? (I'd imagine a bit on the dark side?)

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never heard those cards so cannot comment there. Perhaps someone who has can help in the ranking.

not to sidetrack the thread too far, but I am curious . . . how is the HD650 with the H5 amp? (I'd imagine a bit on the dark side?)

To tell you the truth, I am not quiet sure. Because I have never own more than one amp at once and don't think plugging my 650 directly into the sound do its justice. But I will give out some comment after I get a Stello HP100
biggrin.gif
(very very very likely)

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks bro
smily_headphones1.gif

Now what is this I'm hearing about external DACs? What exactly are these and what advantages do they provide over PCI sound cards? Why would one go for an external DAC over a PCI card?

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not very good IMO. The Headfive does not quite have the gripping power to control the HD-650 bass and as a result bass is relatively overbearing/uncontrolled. I also do not find much love from pairing two warm-sounding components together. The Creek OBH-21 is a much better choice with the HD-650 than the Headfive.

HIHs. Cheers!

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took interest when someone on another forum mentioned M-Audio. I had never heard of them so as a result I did some googling around. It appears they also make fairly good sound cards as well.

I am in the market for a new PCI sound card and would like to ask you which sound card you consider better for music..E-MU 1212M series? M-Audio series? Or SoundBlaster series? I own a SoundBlaster Audigy 2Z notebook card and while the sound is good, I know there are better alternatives out there.

I am building a new PC strictly for music and want the best possible sound clarity for highs, mids and lows.

What do you guys recommend and thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi isamu, I personally use the Emu 1820m, same thing for the most part as the 1616m and the 1212m.
You will want to visit http://productionforums.com and check out the loads of info on a ton of different audio interfaces. Emu support themselves sent me to this "unofficial website" as they call it. They stop in that forum regularly and reply to questions.

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 16
X-fi Elite PRO is a good option however may not win prices for bang for the buck lol. It´s more expensive than the other offerings but then they do sound more expensive as well
biggrin.gif
. (not counting the EMU1212 haven´t heard that one but would assume it would perform similar to an Elite Pro
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 16
dont' forget, the mod to the elite pro described in this fourm really is a night and day difference in the quality of the sound.....for $160 now(then add $10 for the mod), I'd be very surpised to find another card that sounds as good

Actually, someone should do a comparison of the modded elite pro and the EMU 1212m...

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gates_2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont' forget, the mod to the elite pro described in this fourm really is a night and day difference in the quality of the sound.....for $160 now(then add $10 for the mod), I'd be very surpised to find another card that sounds as good

Actually, someone should do a comparison of the modded elite pro and the EMU 1212m...

real night and day or head fi night and day difference
smily_headphones1.gif
. I am sure there is a difference but are we talking 100 % improvement or 5 %...

sources and amps for me is small differences whereas different headphones gives me entirely different sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway what do this mod require? soldering and such? I would be vary about modding a 300$ soundcard though. If you use it a lot you may have to rma it at some point and it won´t work if you have some permanent mods to it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back