Best Sound Card for Recording AND Music
Aug 21, 2004 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mrplow

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am trying to start a home studio and I am planning to do all of my recording, mixing, and mastering on a PC. I am also looking for an upgrade sound quality-wise from my SB Live! 5.1 for music playback. Basically, I am looking for the best sound for listening to music as well as home studio recording. Gaming capabilities are not very important. My price range is anywhere from $100-$250. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

All regards.

Aug 21, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 8
look no further than E-MU 1212m.. the best A/D in the world.. don't go with 0404 as it has inferior A/D.. D/A qualities are almost on par, but here you're also into A/D so the choice is obvious.. 1212m

Aug 21, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 8
Yup, the 1212m is your ticket.
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
What about the RME DSP, or the Lynx? The E-mu's are more budget priced cards, and he wants the "best."

Didn't you see his pricerange of 100-250? Those are out of it.

The only issue with the emu is still no >48khz in WDM apps. If your apps are using ASIO there's no prob with high res there. The DSP effects also only work at 44.1 and 48k.

Aug 21, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Didn't you see his pricerange of 100-250? Those are out of it.

That I did not. Kind of strange that one would put a pricetag on a superlative...

Aug 21, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
That I did not. Kind of strange that one would put a pricetag on a superlative...

OK just to clarify any confusion over semantics, I meant "best" within the context of the price range described. Course, if anyone wants to donate some money to my cause in order to get the best card out there regardless of price, I'd be happy to accept
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back