Best sound card for music... help! =)
Apr 23, 2006 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MrEcted1

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure there have been threads about this topic before... but I figured, well, new computer crap is always coming out so I'm sure most of those threads are dated -=)

Anyways, what is the absolute best sound card you can get right now? Not necessarily for use with cans (although that would be nice too), but for my Klipche Pro Media 2.1 speakers. So 2 questions... what's the best that money can buy, and what's the best for a poor person like myself?

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 4
I believe most people would say either the EMU 1212m or the EMU 0404 depending on if you wan't the more neutral presentation (1212m) or the "more exciting" (brighter or more forward) EMU 0404. You would need some adapters to connect "computer speakers" like the Pro Medias to either of the sound cards.

- Steve

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 4
The best card I've heard is the RME HDSP "Hammerfall", but it's around $500. Also up there is the Lynx card (sorry, I don't recall the model number) but I haven't heard that one. The Lynx card is supposed to be quite nice though.

Below that, in a more realistic (for a lot of people anyway) budget are the E-MU cards. I have the 1212m and have been very satisfied with it. I've owned it for about two years now, and I'm in no hurry to try to upgrade. If/when I do upgrade I will likely go straight to an external DAC and continue to use the 1212m as a transport. For $165, this has been one of the best audio purchases I've made thus far.

One thing worth commenting on, however, is that the 1212m's drivers are a bit of a pain in the butt. Once you have a variety of configurations saved, it's really not difficult to switch from one configuration to the next, but other cards "just work" without the hassle of switching configurations. If you really want excellent sound with a card that "just works" go with the RME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back