Best songs to test/showcase headphones?
Feb 3, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #46 of 55
Exactly! Sometimes I feel like I’m doing it wrong by listening to my favorite songs, instead of songs that test the boundaries or may be technically better. My thought is, if the songs I like sound good, then what I listen to will sound good :).

Same same! I usually also throw in the Beverly Hills Cop theme, Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer (not the crazy frog version...)

I love it for imaging.

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #48 of 55
Tracy Chapman "Fast Car"

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #49 of 55
Til' Tuesday "Voices carry"

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #50 of 55
Fleetwood Mac "The Chain"

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #51 of 55
Eddie Brickell "What I am"

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #52 of 55
"Frogs". Alice in Chains unplugged

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #53 of 55
"Fallible" Blues Traveler

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say you need to test out some headphones before buying, or maybe you need to find some music to demo your setup for a friend.

What 2-3 songs would you pick for this task?

Right now I am using:

- "Muse - Supermassive Blackhole" for bass/impact
- "Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody" for mids
- "RHCP - Scar Tissue" for highs (lots of cymbals/etc.)

What would you guys recommend?

Scar Tissue....Huh.....get rid of that track, its off the worst recorded album in rock history....bar none. TALK ABOUT CLIPPING......WOW
Na, Around the World off Californication is way worse...and its only the first song.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #55 of 55
“I Can’t Help It” by Michael Jackson on Off the Wall (my favorite album by MJ). Great track for evaluating male vocals. Mike gives such a nuanced performance and wide spectrum of vocal techniques are on display throughout the song. You can’t miss it; he grabs your attention from the very beginning of song with his vocal inflections. Absolute mind blowing that he was like 21-22 at the time. Also good track for evaluating soundstage and instrument separation, as there’s a lot going on with the rhythm section throughout to keep your attention.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back