Best songs to compile for audio gear testing?
Jun 29, 2005 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

lastdodobird

Head-Fier
I think people would agree when I say that some songs - with respect to audio quality and audio composition - can get the most out of great audio than others.

With this being said, if you were to make an audio compilation of songs for the sole purpose of testing the music on different kinds of audio gear, what songs must be on that compilation?

Thanks for your replies!

280smile.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 21
I think people would agree when I say that some songs - with respect to audio quality and audio composition - can get the most out of great audio than others.

With this being said, if you were to make an audio compilation of songs for the sole purpose of testing the music on different kinds of audio gear, what songs must be on that compilation?

Thanks for your replies!

280smile.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
yeah, thats what I was thinking, I downloaded those songs.

Yup, Zemo really opened my eyes (or ears, rather) to the world of better listening. Recordings like those made me want better hardware for sure.

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 21
Dadawa's "Sister Drum" is a great album not only musically but it's great for testing many aspects of audio gear. The two tracks I use most are the title track "Sister Drum" and "The Turning Scripture". In addition I've used Sarah McLachlan's "Freedom Sessions" album for a long time, there are a few really great songs on there but the best is problem the piano & vocal only version of "Hold On"

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 21
You need to pick your own favorites. You need to know them like the back of your hand so you have some idea of what they are *supposed* to sound like. You will be lost if you just randomly pick various songs by artists you know nothing about. How will you know if what you are hearing is reproducing those songs well or not? Compared to what? The system is for you and your enjoyment and should sound good on the music *you* like. IMHO.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
You need to pick your own favorites. You need to know them like the back of your hand so you have some idea of what they are *supposed* to sound like. You will be lost if you just randomly pick various songs by artists you know nothing about. How will you know if what you are hearing is reproducing those songs well or not? Compared to what? The system is for you and your enjoyment and should sound good on the music *you* like. IMHO.
orphsmile.gif

That's true and I agree wholeheartedly but it's always fun to find new references.
wink.gif

Oh and where the heck have you been, I haven't seen you post in ages or have I just been missing them?

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
That's a great listening demonstration. It is however, a nearly perfect plagerism of David Chesky's The Ultimate Demonstration Disc song for song and word for word.

Perhaps we should point out the mistakes so it becomes perfect plagiarism
biggrin.gif

I don't think Zemo professes to have written it though, so more a copyright issue.

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
I don't think Zemo professes to have written it though, so more a copyright issue.

Possibly but, I'm sure Mr. Chesky would appreciate the credit for all the hard work he's done.

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back