Best Solid State amps for Sennheiser HD 650 and 800
Sep 6, 2015 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

musicbuff

100+ Head-Fier
I own the Sennheiser HD 800 and 650.  When I had the Marantz PM 8005 Integrated amp I also had the Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amp and ran both phones balanced.  Their performance increased amazingly.  Then I bought the Marantz PM 11S3.  I found it's headphone jack to be every bit as good as running the Senn HDVA 600 HP amp balanced.  So I sold the HP amp and am using just the Marantz's HP jack.  Now I'm wondering if I can get even more from my HP's.  After so much hype I tried the Bottlehead Crack and found it a disappointment.  I do not like tube rolling (too unpredictable and expensive).  So I'll take all the recommendations for excellent solid state amps anyone can throw my way.  Budget cut off $4K.  My DAC is Calyx 24/192.  I alternate between JRiver media center and Signalyst HQ Player on Windows 10.  I'm also thinking of purchasing a pair of Hifiman HE-6's in the future.  Hopefully the recommended amps will push all these cans to do their very best.  Thanks.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Went with the SPL Phonitor 2.  Very nice amp.  Played with the crossfeed.  Though it narrows the soundstage a little bit, it does wonders for when I'm listening to choirs and classical.  I can close my eyes and see the choir and/or orchestra as a continuum from left to right, closing up the mid stage gap.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Purchased the Violectric V281.  Finally found the perfect playmate for my HD 650.  The sound stage is wider, the bass is deeper, tighter and more pronounced.  There's a beautiful, satisfying sparkle in the upper registry and there are details galore through the highs, mids, and lower levels.  I'm in headphone heaven.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back