Best Software Option
Nov 28, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #16 of 22
I like JRiver been a user for many years.
Why I chose it from the rest:
+ All in one. Audio, Video, TV, Streams etc. You could use your DAC/Amp for audio when using Video, TV, Streams..ex: upsample audio stream to DSD256 while watching a 4k Video (why I chose it).
+ GUI, more user friendly than Foobar or HQPlayer
+ Ability to add VST plugins (like Foobar). I have Izotope Ozone and it's just amazing.
+ Not free but cheap. 30$

If strickly audio I am using UAPP (w/Bitperfect) thru Android.

How do you get it for $30? It listed almost for $50.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #17 of 22
Sorry! Discounted price for long time users... He he he. But still cheap for what it brings. IMO.

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #20 of 22
Does anyone who runs their music pc headless (no monitor or peripherals) have a recommendation on which music software can be remotely controlled with a tablet? I will be playing my own locally stored music collection on a dedicated music pc, bitperfect output to an external DAC, and I am not concerned with being able to stream to my ipad from outside the house. I just want a nice interface on the ipad so I don’t have to attach peripherals to the pc, except for occasional maintenance.

I have a slight preference for Windows pc since I find Linux frustrating to work with, but I am open to trying Linux. I did try Daphile Linux for a half day, but it didn’t recognize my wifi hardware in a recent Intel NUC release, so I gave that up for now. I thought Jriver might be the answer, but now I see they stopped supporting their ipad app and it doesn’t work on recent ios versions. They offer a web browser based option but it looks like an externally hosted URL, and I don’t want to connect to a third party just to be able to remotely control my pc from the couch.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #21 of 22
Does anyone who runs their music pc headless (no monitor or peripherals) have a recommendation on which music software can be remotely controlled with a tablet? I will be playing my own locally stored music collection on a dedicated music pc, bitperfect output to an external DAC, and I am not concerned with being able to stream to my ipad from outside the house. I just want a nice interface on the ipad so I don’t have to attach peripherals to the pc, except for occasional maintenance.

I have a slight preference for Windows pc since I find Linux frustrating to work with, but I am open to trying Linux. I did try Daphile Linux for a half day, but it didn’t recognize my wifi hardware in a recent Intel NUC release, so I gave that up for now. I thought Jriver might be the answer, but now I see they stopped supporting their ipad app and it doesn’t work on recent ios versions. They offer a web browser based option but it looks like an externally hosted URL, and I don’t want to connect to a third party just to be able to remotely control my pc from the couch.

first a little correction -- you can access jriver via a browser via http://[computer ip address]:52199 (e.g. http://192.168.10.100:52199). this does not connect via a third party. it is designed to work well with a tablet but i haven't used it.

another way (albeit more complicated) is to set up jriver as a renderer and install minimserver on your pc. from there, you can use lumin or kazoo to control. if you use tidal, also install bubbleupnp server on the pc and enable open home functionality.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #22 of 22

I use a headless Windows OS based NUC running Foobar2000 w/WASAPI controlled via an iPad running the MonkeyMoteHD app. Works very well and I think checks all your boxes for capability and simplicity.

For maintenance, you can use the Remote Desktop or Splashtop IOS apps to enable full access to your Windows system from an iPad. I can’t remember the last time I had to connect a keyboard/monitor/mouse.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back