Best smartphone to get to use as an music player
Aug 25, 2014 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JeffJeffery

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this is not the best place to have this discussion (but I am new to this arena).
I have an iPod touch 2g, I believe, and a pair of ATH-M50. I love listening to music on my laptop because I can eq it (I have an HP and have the Beats sound eq... I know, I know... Beats, sorry). But I really do like it. I listen to a lot of hip hop so it works. I don't really like listening to music on my iPod touch because the eq on it just doesn't cut it. Now that the battery on my iPod cant hold a charge for longer than an hour, I need to get something new to play music on.
I am thinking of getting a smartphone to replace my iPod. However, I am looking for a similar sound experience to my computer. I am by no means a audiophile, I just like good sounding music, not to the pickiest detail like some of you guys but I like good sounding music.
Any suggestions on phones? or ways to go at this?
My budget is about $200.
I am either thinking a newer model phone but getting it used. Or getting an older model phone with a portable headphone amp. (I just don't know how much the technology has improved)
Any tips or things I should look for would be greatly appreciated.
I also would like to be able to get the newer music apps so I don't know how much being able to have the current android os is, but I like Pandora, Spotify, radio apps for sports games etc. But that is probably a whole other topic.

***(((( I do have 1 requirement, it has to have a REMOVABLE BATTERY ))))****

Thanks for any feedback.
And again I apologize if this is not really the place to be having this conversation.

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 13
I don't know too much about the NA market, but here in Europe 200$ would be a really tight budget for a smartphone. In that bracket Moto G seems like the only choice. I do not know how it fares in the audio department but everything else except the camera is top notch for the price when it comes to that phone. However it does not have a removable battery.
Why not look into portable players? FiiO X3 is a solid choice for under 200$ and I'm sure there are plenty of other options too.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 13
I would recommend the HTC One, on contract for $200. It's one of the more audio-focused phones on the market. I'm coming from an iPhone, but got fed up with Apple ecosystem and hardware. In addition to all the benefits of Android, I think the HTC One sounds better. It also has some pretty respectable amping so it drives most headphones easily and can even get my 600ohm cans to decent volume. With Winamp for Android I can also play all my Apple-based AIFFs, so there is literally nothing my iPhone could do this can't do better.

The same amp that drives the headphone also drives the dual front speakers which sound excellent for the size. A friend brought a backpack with built in speakers to the beach and my little HTC put out louder and clearer sound. A novelty perhaps, but it can really come in handy on occasion. 

In all respects, it's an excellent audio device.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 13
With for an on-contract price of sub-$200 with removable battery, you can get the LG G3 or Samsung S5. Those are the two flagship android phones currently widely available on every major US carrier at that price or better during sales/promos.

If you are already on-contract and are looking to buy an unsubsidized phone, your options are really limited at the $200 price point and I would really just wait until your contract expires as smartphone tech is rapidly progressing. In two years, your options at $200 would be even more amazing!!!

The HTC M8 does not have a removable battery. Honestly, the audio performance of all flagship android phones would be pretty similar if not indistinguishable. The new upcoming Z3 is advertised to have an audio-focus as well, but that is probably just advertising gibberish with very small real world gains.

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 13
  Honestly, the audio performance of all flagship android phones would be pretty similar if not indistinguishable. The new upcoming Z3 is advertised to have an audio-focus as well, but that is probably just advertising gibberish with very small real world gains.

Not really, there are measurable differences. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8078/smartphone-audio-testing-htc-one-m8-and-samsung-galaxy-s5/3

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 13

hahah perhaps, but I would be very surprised if you can actually hear a real-world difference and pick out which phone is which in a blind comparison with the volume matched. The louder song will always sound better, and it sounds like the m8 is naturally louder. Once you match the volumes though, I doubt there are any significant differences.

From your article, the m8 does appear to be speced better but non-removable battery removes it from op's list.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 13

Best smartphone to get to use as an music player

I'd vote Samsung Galaxy S or Note, whichever works with USB OTG - removable battery, NeutronMP and MediaMonkey (with remote option), plus availability of docks like Apple.

Here's my system at home.

Transportable - works with the $99 D-Zero

Kinda sucks as a portable - my T-Mobile unit has a frequency response imbalance (sounds dark), and despite digital control, it can go from "almost there" to "TURN IT DOWN!!!" with one push of the volume button. In fact, when I use it as a transportable, I appreciate the D-Zero more for its volume control than its raw amplification prowess.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks for all of the responses, but I do not currently have a smartphone plan (and am not looking to get one in the near future).  I can get a galaxy s3 for about $200, and am thinking that is my best option.  I am more looking at older phones on amazon (but still new condition).  I just don't know how much difference there is between lets say a s3 and a htc evo 4g.  So I am looking for a phone off contract that will have current software and it as future proof as possible.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 13
  Thanks for all of the responses, but I do not currently have a smartphone plan (and am not looking to get one in the near future).  I can get a galaxy s3 for about $200, and am thinking that is my best option.  I am more looking at older phones on amazon (but still new condition).  I just don't know how much difference there is between lets say a s3 and a htc evo 4g.  So I am looking for a phone off contract that will have current software and it as future proof as possible.

HTC doesn't have a microSD card slot, so that's one important bit to consider. I don't know about the Evo 4g, but I handled my cousin's One, and it had build quality similar to an iPhone. Unfortunately that also meant no routinely swappable battery (you don't get a solid-feeling shell like that with something that can be easily opened), and you don't really get to feel metal or plastic on your hands anyway because either way you'd put it in a case to prevent scratches on it.

Mind the chrome borders on Samsungs though - I got a Superleggera 2-layer case (soft inner, plastic outer) that is easy to remove and put back on without scratching the phone (since the plastic case doesn't touch the phone).

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 13
why even get a smartphone if you're not looking to get a data plan?  

i've been using my Galaxy S3 for two years now and it's been great.  the volume level is so-so for my over ear UE 6000's and i need to amp it to get really good sound that is loud enough.  but for the several IEM's i've tried, it puts out plenty of juice to power them.  

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 13
I want a smartphone because I want to be able to get music apps like Pandora and Rdio etc. Also wouldn't mind being able to check my email without needing my laptop. As far as I know the evo 4g (not LTE version) has a SD slot. It also for sure has a removable battery.  How dated does your S3 seem?  Are you still able to get the latest updates and apps, I found that with my iPod Touch I can not get the new ios and therefore cant get many apps.
I don't have many of my own music files, that is why I am not looking for a MP3 player.  I like being able to listen to music on Pandora and Rdio and YouTube etc.

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 13
I see.  I still really like my GS3.  it's a verizon version, 8GB internal with 16GB micro.  I'll probably upgrade pretty shortly though only because I can.  It still runs smooth.  I listen to almost all of my music via Google Play All Access app.  Streaming and downloaded music plays in 320kbps if you have a good connection.  Mine is stock, haven't rooted it or anything cause I'm not savy or confident messing with it.  it runs Android version 4.4.2 currently and runs all the newest aps that i know of.  I run youtube probably every day without problems.  It's been a great phone.  As far as sound quality goes, it sounds good, but like mentioned, some of the higher impedance headphones, you'll need an amp, but most IEM's it has plenty of juice to run.  

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 13
  why even get a smartphone if you're not looking to get a data plan?  

I don't have one either, but over here I already have a as I have a wireless 4g mobile modem anyway that I use on the go and as back up if the internet or the power is out at home. Very rarely use it on my phone though, except for when I really need to check my email or FB messages (like, check if I got the time and location right for anything). I'm using the cheapest data plan on that one too since I very rarely use it, and for those who can forego the need to have a back up like that, then it's perfectly possible to just use a smartphone with WiFi. If the power and internet here wasn't vulnerable to storms and I didn't need to check email for work or use Skype, I could completely do without any kind of data plan at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back